Selection lag in Maya 2011 and higher

Hi All,

Has anybody had/fixed the selection lag bug in Maya 2011 and higher?

Easy to test,
[ol]
[li]Open Maya
[/li][li]Create a default sphere
[/li][li]Select it, move the viewport
[/li][li]Deselect it, move the viewport
[/li][li]Goto step 3
[/li][/ol]

I get a lag between the (de)selection and the viewport updating as demonstrated in the video.

//youtu.be/dIugnMOlxtA

The details:

I’m running a GeForce GTS 250 on a Windows 7 box.

I’ve tried adding the following options to maya.env

MAYA_GEFORCE_SKIP_OVERLAY=1 
MAYA_NO_VERTEX_ARRAY_SELECT=1
MAYA_NO_TOPLEVEL_TBB=1
MAYA_NO_PARALLEL_DRAW=1
MAYA_SLOW_DRAWPIXELS=1

Rolling back the drivers to 197.45 as recommended by the Autodesk qualified graphics hardware pdf.

Going back to a single monitor (instead of dual screens).

Turning of Windows Areo features.

Disabling firewall and antivirus scanners.

Adjusting the driver settings for Maya, turning on ‘Single display performance mode’, turning off ‘Threaded optimization’

Installing Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2028560)

Uninstalling Wacom drivers.

Removing all of the windows ‘Tablet Features’, handwriting recognition etc.

So far nothing I have tried has made any difference. Can you suggest anything I might have missed?

Cheers,

Keir

I’ve noticed it too, the only 2 things I usually do is close the attribute editor and the scriptEditor as they can slow things down a bit. But it looks like Maya is doing some extra awesome stuff now on selection changes.

I’ve never noticed this. Tried to reproduce it now on Maya 2011 32-bit and 2012 32-bit, but couldn’t.

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
[email protected]
6GB RAM
GeForce GTS 240

In Maya 2012 x-64, any viewport, the only perceptible delay I get is when I have the script editor and the AE open; then the selection highlight does not appear until after the text quits scrolling in the script editor, otherwise the delay is too short to notice.

I have seen a lot of similar reports elsewhere, so I don’t think you are the only person with the issue. Just for comparison, I am running Windows 7SP1 x-64, i7, 8 GB RAM and a Quadro 4000 w/270.51 driver. I did recently upgrade to an SSD, but I didn’t have an issue like this before that.

<* Wes *>

Hmm, I have noticed this for awhile and it bugged me but never went out of my way to trouble shoot it. After reading this and playing around, it only happens when I have the attribute editor open. The script editor does not seem to make a difference. But as soon as I hide/close the AE it stops lagging completely.

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts.

Unfortunately closing the AE doesn’t make a difference for me. Even with all of the UI off except for the viewport it still lags just the same.
I also tried turning off the viewport and just had the channel box up, still lagged.

I’m now thinking that it maybe be a level of lag in the QT layer. Mostly because the it only happens in 2011 and higher (which are using QT). Maybe I have a dll mismatch lurking around.

Cheers,

Keir

Hey Keir,

By any chance have you installed the latest hotfixes?

[QUOTE=haiddasalami;11730]Hey Keir,

By any chance have you installed the latest hotfixes?[/QUOTE]

I have tested upto Maya 2012 - hotfix 4 (I have only been testing x64 installs)

Hi Keir,

I also have the same issue. Also tried everything from the forums. I founded that is a license related problem. After starting Maya, disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service and in the task manager End the Process FNPLicensingService64.exe, and the lag is gone.

I notice that everytime you select and object or a componente like a vertex, or an edge, Maya make a backup of the license in C:/Programa Data/FLEXnet. Disabling the service Maya won’t make any backup and the lag is gone. Remember to enable again the service because you won’t we able to start Maya again.

It’s kind of weird. Does anybody find any solution to this?

What year and license version are you using? If it is a server license, where is the server, and do other users have the same problem? This seems quite… serious.

I’m using a Standalone license of a Student Version of Autodesk Maya 2012, from students.autodesk.com. Yesterday I installed the newer Service Pack 2, but the problem persists. I think it’s a Hard Drive configuration problem.

I’m using a Standalone license of a Student Version of Autodesk Maya 2012, from students.autodesk.com. Yesterday I installed the newer Service Pack 2, but the problem persists. I think it’s a Hard Drive configuration problem.

Doing a little searching, and it appears the problem also pops up in badly pirated versions of Maya, where Maya will continuously look for a license after every action which makes things super slow. Though I guess it’s not limited to illegal versions only.

My friend is getting it on his student license 2011 on win7x64 but both my 2011/2012 OS X student licenses are working fine, and my 2012 on win7 x64 as well. So it could be related to system setups?

I know Max has an issue sometimes where it will only load once per user, but modifying an ini file and reg file fixes it…could be something as simple as that? hopefully anyway

Check you’re active running threads, if you have one sat at 25% for Maya then you’re suffering from the CPU license issue that’s now patched on SP2 (or should be) there’s a post on my blog about it and how to fix it if it is indeed this.

Turn off any Windows AREO settings, as it trashes 3d software performance at least with MotionBuilder and Maya from my latest experience.

Set the windows theme to classic and you should notice at least some improvement.

Hi.

Thank you for your reponses. I work with AERO turned off and yes the performance is better. I make a clean install of Windows 7 Professional SP1x64 (original) and installed the educational version of Maya 2012, but the problem persists. I think it’s my hardware configuration. I have a Toshiba Qosmio X 775 with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560m 1.5 TB, maybe its is because of the NVIDIA Optimus Technology or the Hard Drive is having problems. I will ask in the Toshiba Authorized Center.

Thanks.

Tested it on my new laptop (i7-2670QM, GeForce 555M 2GB, 8GB RAM, Win 7 HP 64-bit w/ AERO on) with both Maya 2011 32-bit and 64-bit and I don’t have the problem…

On your laptop, do you have 2 graphics cards?
It’s common, like I have an more energy efficient Inter HD card which is default on all applications. If so, you need to define Maya to use your “High-performance NVIDIA processor” in your NVidia Control Panel, which could make a difference.

The thing that stinks with that AERO issue is that if you have it turned off(like I did) and happen to have an Autodesk Maya certified video card (quadroFX 4000) then you get this crappy flickering and the pick whip menus stick and the screen doesn’t redraw or refresh when you need it too, so you have to leave AERO turned on to fix the stupid thing. I just thought I’d put this here if someone runs into the issue after the fact.

Strange, I have it off and have to or things are a mess and I have a quadro also. Graphics card stuff is a nightmare.

I started this is a license-related issues. After the start of the Maya, and disable the FLEXnet Licensing service in the Task Manager to end the process FNPLicensingService64.exe lag.