My VFX stuff

Hi! Here are some videos of my effects. There are some abandoned WIPs but I’m still working on some of them when I have the time.

Twist and Bend materials in UDK, refreshed my trigonometry knowledge:

//youtu.be/GaCqYJmBiXk

Smoke in UDK, I sculpted a smoke mesh in ZBrush and rendered a vector displacement map which is used to turn a cylinder into the smoke form in UDK:

//youtu.be/3BoVy7Zon4Y
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Fish-eye lens effect in UDK, it’s a post-process material:

//youtu.be/OI2TztXVu20

Nitrogen smoke in UDK, this is not a very useful effect, I was trying to find a way to procedurally generate some smoke forms:

//youtu.be/H_Z-X3S2HX0

Fire effect with tessellation, this effect does not use any flipbook textures, it modifies a copy of the skeletal mesh:

//youtu.be/SK6j-554CW8

Snake animation, the bending animation of the snake is made completely inside the material. It bends according to a modified sine wave:

//youtu.be/_8ypZ83Yp4I

A hologram cube effect, the particles are randomly attracted by invisible particles:

//youtu.be/T5Sr0vZzgP0

Planar dissolve, the material dissolves when it gets near a plane defined in the material:

//youtu.be/o0N6j9jmdhg

Beating heart; vertex colors, world normals and two pulse functions are used to animate a static mesh:

//youtu.be/tCbpX_lEQEU

Good stuff, I remember seeing the beating heart and the teleporting effect. Interesting use of invisible particles to drive the behavior of other particles. Keep up the good work.

This is pretty cool stuff!

Do you mind posting a pic of the twist shader? I’m interested in how you went about doing that.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Ryan, here’s an image I had made to explain it. The material itself is a little messy by its nature so this should present the idea in a more clear way:

An update for the bending material. It can bend the mesh in any vertical plane now:

//youtu.be/TcZwzODKe_0

I’m always impressed with your stuff Emre, keeps reminding me that I need to make time to brush up on my math.

Thanks Lloyd :slight_smile:

Ribbons and a material with procedural vertex animation:

//youtu.be/twg3qN3Ho4Q

Some more work done with the smoke trails:

//youtu.be/eweq6tK7nOU

New video! A re-worked version of the planar dissolve effect. It now creates its own UVs for the effect so the panning motion of the textures is always in the same direction regardless of mesh orientation.

//youtu.be/FoKv-rCa7pQ

BTW I graduated which means I’ll have lots of time to put into this stuff :slight_smile:

Flames!

//youtu.be/KQj62-lubI0

Better flames :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/MYTM_SnIt0U

Some WIPs:

Flame thrower flames with some stationary flames. Zoltan’s article was pretty helpful but my fire is not as complex as that in this case:

//youtu.be/5GV9MTBRp3U

Here are the textures the flames use(1 256256 texture, 4 6464 textures):

Here’s a still shot with wireframes:

A text effect:

//youtu.be/2pTf25DDh7Q

A freezing screen effect:

I hope some of these look interesting. Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

Fake refractions in UDK using the reflection vector:

//youtu.be/jMKjozL0GjI