Trouble with maya 2013 and python image library

Appreciate it guys! I guess I could skip messing around with looking for our 2012 python goods running upon 2013 in addition to jump to recompiling items… saves me no less than some perform.

[QUOTE=Amorano;17831]pywin 2.6x64 via 2010 also on the site I linked above. Using it here as well.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

I’m getting the same errors I had before… was there a particular file you used? I’m using the 2.6 amd 64, but I can’t import the module. Were you installing using a different method? Do you know how to check the compiler version in the module?

I’m following the basic installation where you move the python\site-packages to maya\python\lib\site-packages.

Zach

That is where I got PIL originally. It didn’t work in Maya 2013, we had to recompile PIL in VS2010.

I cannot comprehend Autodesk’s decision making. Why move to a custom Python interpreter compiled with a different compiler than all standard libraries available when the whole program is still flawed with bugs from the interface refactor?

Well at least you got it to work by recompiling, that’s something.

I also just ran into this issue the last couple nights, my client switched to using 2013 to fix a baking issue that 2012 had and that now killed out pipe using PIL…at least I understand why. I was having to add the C:/python26 paths to the sys.path when running mayapy but even then when I tried to use ImageChops I got the _imaging.pyd is not a valid win32 application. WHY AUTODESK WHY? I haven’t gone about recompiling anything but I have VS2010, anyone have some links that might shed some light as to how to go about doing that? Is it just a matter of grabbing the source and compiling? I imagine there would be more than that.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/pyqtmaya2013.pdf

This is the general workflow, which should hold true for compiling PIL as well - I got stuck at some point where I’m missing a Python library, but I didn’t have time to look more closely at the error. Maybe it’s trivial, maybe not. But in general it’s not too difficult to compile PIL.

[QUOTE=Amorano;17831]pywin 2.6x64 via 2010 also on http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/. Using it here as well.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Zach Gray;17997]I’m getting the same errors I had before… was there a particular file you used? I’m using the 2.6 amd 64, but I can’t import the module. Were you installing using a different method? Do you know how to check the compiler version in the module?

I’m following the basic installation where you move the python\site-packages to maya\python\lib\site-packages.

Zach[/QUOTE]

Amorano are you sure about that? It doesn’t seem to work inside Maya 2013 :tear:

I just ran into this issue with maya 2013 64 bit and PIL on windows 7. Would anybody here that has recompiled the module be willing to post it? Is it an easy matter to installing MSVS 2010 Express and compiling it myself?

Thanks,
James

I’m not sure what Python release you’re after, but have you looked here?
Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension Packages

Mentioned above, but thought I’d mention it.

[QUOTE=Adam Pletcher;20084]I’m not sure what Python release you’re after, but have you looked here?
Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension Packages

Mentioned above, but thought I’d mention it.[/QUOTE]

Hey,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have that site bookmarked and it works for my standalone installation of python but not the python that came with maya 2013. Apparently I need to compile it with vs 2010 but I’ve never done that before. I’m going to give it a try today.

Any luck?

I’m about to take this on, and was hoping to avoid it.

[QUOTE=maharg;20086]Hey,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have that site bookmarked and it works for my standalone installation of python but not the python that came with maya 2013. Apparently I need to compile it with vs 2010 but I’ve never done that before. I’m going to give it a try today.[/QUOTE]

compile should be pretty straight forward for both x86 and x64 on the command line. Unless you want freetype, little CMS and the extra image types. From what I remember you can do it all with VS Express. I haven’t compiled PIL with 2010, but with VC 2008 and 2003 in the past.