The prevailing spam issue

Hi all,

Just wondering if there was something in the works to stop the spam users. I only ask because i’ve subscribed to quite a few of the threads here and they’re getting lost in my spam filter. :slight_smile:

At cgtalk we’ve used a 2-post validation method to deter them, but it’s a lot more work for admins and mods that way. Are solutions being looked at?

As they are able to bypass the image verification, we’re now trying with a question/anwser at the registration process. Hopefully this will stop them.

like a ‘what color is the sky?’ question, or maybe it should be something like…

write a quick for loop that counts to 10 in python.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vfxcreator;3938]like a ‘what color is the sky?’ question, or maybe it should be something like…

write a quick for loop that counts to 10 in python.

:)[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree spam will be gone if we ask them to do this. :D:

Kees and I stopped spam cold over on the Lumonix forum by simply adding a math question (like what’s 5 + 4?) as a field you fill in when you post. It’s a very slight annoyance to real people, but up until now it’s been a solid barrier to the bots that post the spam.

Well we had a math question for registration, but that didn’t seem to stop them.

Yeah - it’s because they get a real person to register and then they use bots to post.

Ok, I’ve installed the akismet spamfilter now, let’s see how that goes.

just letting you know there’s some garbage to clean over there: http://tech-artists.org/wiki/Random_Numbers

thanks for your efforts to keep this clean though, much appreciated :slight_smile: