Mobu Help - Fatal Error

Hey all,

I figured this would be the best place to ask as alot of you are also working in production and may have run in to this. I have several motionbuilder FBX files i have edited and can open just fine on my computer, however once i check them in to perforce and someone else tries to open it they get the error below. If they hit continue they get a message saying the file is corrupt and motionbuilder crashes.

The crazy thing is if i save the file outside of my perforce branch and give it out directly everyone can open it, but if anyone else checks it in only they can reopen it.

Is there any known issues with perforce for these files? I am kind of in a bind here sitting on large amount of files, has anyone ran in to this before?

We are using motionbuilder 2009 and p4v 2008.2.

Thanks in advance

Is it happening only on MoBu files? Does the same thing happen from another source/dest? Or is it only when you upload them to Perforce?

That reminds me of the coolest error of all time I got in XSI once.

[B]WARNING: CATACLYSMIC ERROR!

[ CLOSE ][/B][LEFT]Here’s to inane error messages!
[/LEFT]

Is there a mismatch in the file type? As an example p4 could be marking the file as text file and its binary. This has caused me headaches in the past pipeline I worked in. Although I wasn’t using fbx files, the error was with rag-doll and skeletal files.

Hopes this helps!

Just happens with motionbuilder files, apparently only binary files. I saved it out as an FBX ASCII and it appears to be working now, i am just keeping my fingers crossed.

At least they are ascii now so i can compare them if they start breaking again…

Hmm good question Alex… ill dig in to the depths of perforce see if i notice anything…

You just need to update p4v. Let it know that that particular filetype is binary and not a text file. Its easy enough to findout. Select the fbx file and look at its file history, should say Perforce File type: Binary or text. If you have a binary file and p4 thinks its a text file that’s where your error is. Its pretty easy to fix. Look up changing file type.