[Max] Help getting up and running with dot net sdk

Hi

Just switching over to Max, from Maya, and I wanted to take a peek at the DotNet sdk wrappers.

So I installed it from here - http://www.ephere.com/autodesk/max/downloads.html - and loaded the Autodesk.Max.Wrappers.dll reference in VS. However, I don’t seem to have access to some classes motioned in the tutorials I’m following… So, for instance, I cannot see Autodesk.Max.Plugins (mentioned in the max documentation for simple plugins) or IPlugin mention in ephere’s tutorials in VS (i think IPlugin isn’t used anymore though). Searching the Object browser doesnt reveal these either.

So I’m wondering if:
(1) Is ephere is the correct site to get this from (seems strange that I’m getting it from a 3rd party and not A’desk)?
(2) if there have been any changes to the plugin on recent versions?

Im running Max 2012 64bit and VS 2010.

Any help would be great.

Andy

I haven’t used Max for a year or so but that Max.NET SDK was originally a third-party plugin that started getting bundled with Max, though I’m not sure if Autodesk actually bought the product (they may have just licensed it?). So I think it has ‘official’ status even if it’s a third party. I’m sure someone currently using Max can give a better answer.

I think they only shipped it with the 2013 version.

Ephere’s & Autodesk’s wrappers are two different things, while they seem really close. I found some information from Ephere’s website useful while getting into Autodesk’s version. But I think moving forward and Autodesk having released theirs, Ephere will stop updating their version?

Autodesk version was released with the 2012 SAP patch if you are under subscription.
However they changed some stuff with the 2013 release, nothing big though (some delegate signatures, shuffled some classes around in other dlls etc…)

I’ve never used Ephere’s wrapper, I am just commenting regarding the Autodesk version. It’s quite rough around the edges still at this point, I’ve been working with it for a couple of months now and I’ve hit a lot of brickwalls along the way.
Sadly there’s no documentation to speak of, very little information available on the web (although some of ephere’s forum posts really did help).

If you do want to use the Autodesk wrapper, I would strongly encourage you to download Chris Diggins’ Maxsharp solution to take a look at how he wrapped some stuff. This should help you a lot in your learning curve.
Also, I hope you are on subscription as I had to rely on the subscription support more than once :wink: