Basic ncloth question

today i started some research on ncloth , as what I have learnt that the the object colliding should not penetrate depends on the thickness and the friction factor, however i noticed if I set the bounce it flies away , (see the maya scene file in attached zip). so what factors other than the thickness of theobject should i consider… also I would appreciate if someone can point me to good ncloth and ndynamics tutorials…

Hey Sanjeev,

I am not an expert on nCloth or anything but i do have a few simple pieces of information that i hope you will find useful.
I looked at the settings that youare using for your cloth.
There are 3 things that will greatly improve you simulation.

1. The actual thickness of your cloth is quite high.
  2. You will want to set the Self Collision Flag to either vertex/face OR full surface
  3. Finally i would recommend bumping up the substeps as well as the max collision iterations.

Here is the reasoning behind these suggestions:

You want your cloth to be beleivably thick in the sense that when you run the sim and look at it, the cloth should dreape over another object and not hover above it like it is hitting some kind of invisible barrier.
It seems like you bumped up the thickness to counteract some geometry interpenatration.
For each frame of your simulation Maya is calculating where your components are in relation to one another The self collision flag tells Maya what components to evaluate. If you set this to verts (which was what you had originally) then Maya will only calculate collisions between verticies, ignoring edges and faces. You arfe using a low-res piece of geometry for your cloth so there is a lot of space between your verticies.
I suggested bumping up the substeps and max collision iterations to take care of the interpenetration.
As i understand it substeps are the number of calculation Maya will perform per frame. Higher substeps will equate to a more accurate simulation.
Max collision iterations operates similarly. It sets a limit on how many checks and calculations Maya will perform with regard to collisions.

A final note:

The resolution of your cloth geometry will have a great deal to do with the look of your simulation. Low-Res geometry does not lend itself to simulating cloth that needs to have a lot of fine detail in terms of folds and creases. This is simply because there are simply not enough edges to make the shapes.

The Maya help documantation for nCloth is actually quite helpful. It goes tharough all of the cloth attributes and explaing what they do. The nCloth overview adn introductory sections of the help docs also provide a ton of really useful information about how the nucleus solver works.

Hopefully i did not add to you confusion .
Cheers,
PAul

thanks Paul for explaining in such a detail, i had a look at Maya help the same day, its very helpful to start with…