Plugget - package manager for Tech Artists

with a single click, Plugget let’s you install your tools and plugins in multiple apps, and auto handles the pip dependencies for you.

e.g. Blender addons, Maya plugins, Max macroscripts, …

• It’s extendible, supporting any app with Python.
  • you can create custom app manifest repos, to distribute private tools.
  • and there’s a search function to search through hundreds of existing tools on GitHub (mostly Blender addons atm)

You can install a package with a command

import plugget
plugget.install("my_package")

or you can download one of the many UI plugins

So far I’ve been mostly posting updates on the Blender forum thread, but since Plugget works on multiple dcc / apps, I’ll start sharing the non Blender updates here before the Blender community takes out the pitchforks :slight_smile:

• Empower artists to install the tools they need. Instead of distributing all the tools in 1 repo.
  • Prevent 1 tool with a compile error, that breaks the whole pipeline experience, blocking the whole art team.
  • Let people roll back to a previously working version of a tool
  • Version your tools individually, instead of version a release of all your tools together.
  • Distribute lists of recommended tools. and easily customise them for different teams or projects
  • Auto handle dependencies, artists don’t wan’t to touch the console.

How does it work?

• plugget downloads the manifests from https://github.com/plugget/plugget-pkgs
  • it detects your dcc / app, and runs a matching install action
  • the install action reads the manifest for the package you want to install
  • then it downloads the repo saved in the manifest, and installs it to your addon/plugin folder
  • then it runs another install action, to pip install the dependencies, customized for your dcc / app

the end result is a plugin installed on your pc with 1 click.

supported apps

• unreal
  • blender
  • max (WIP)
  • maya
  • krita
1 Like