Maya to 3dsMax -> Script that runs at startup

Hey guys! I’m playing around with 3dsmax coming from Maya. In Maya I’ve used userSetup.mel to set some options and preferences that gets initialized each time I open Maya. I was wondering if there was something similar in 3dsmax? A standard folder/file that 3dsmax runs whenever it opens? Another thing, does anyone know if it’s possible to disable the interactive creation of primitives in max? I’ve searched with no luck, just find it so weird if it isn’t possible :confused:

And if anyone has any general workflow tips etc to share coming from Maya to 3dsmax, I’d really appreciate it! :):

Startup Scripts is probably what you are looking for?

How and why do you want to disable interactive creation of primitives? It would help if you described the problem you’re having, and how you would like it to behave instead.

[QUOTE=simchris;26742]Hey guys! I’m playing around with 3dsmax coming from Maya. In Maya I’ve used userSetup.mel to set some options and preferences that gets initialized each time I open Maya. I was wondering if there was something similar in 3dsmax? A standard folder/file that 3dsmax runs whenever it opens? Another thing, does anyone know if it’s possible to disable the interactive creation of primitives in max? I’ve searched with no luck, just find it so weird if it isn’t possible :confused:

And if anyone has any general workflow tips etc to share coming from Maya to 3dsmax, I’d really appreciate it! :):[/QUOTE]

Hey man i don’t know about the user script but in max if you want to create primitives using parameters you have to open the “keyboard entry” tab on the object creation menu of the primitive that you want.

But yeah there is no way of clicking and creating automatically a standard primitive like maya, you have to interactively create or use the keyboard entry option.

[QUOTE=simchris;26742]Hey guys! I’m playing around with 3dsmax coming from Maya. In Maya I’ve used userSetup.mel to set some options and preferences that gets initialized each time I open Maya. I was wondering if there was something similar in 3dsmax? A standard folder/file that 3dsmax runs whenever it opens? Another thing, does anyone know if it’s possible to disable the interactive creation of primitives in max? I’ve searched with no luck, just find it so weird if it isn’t possible :confused:

And if anyone has any general workflow tips etc to share coming from Maya to 3dsmax, I’d really appreciate it! :):[/QUOTE]

For viewport types of settings; viewport layout, rendering mode, lighting, shadows, grid setting, background, etc… You set up a Max scene as you want and then save it off into your \scenes folder as maxstart.max. Each time Max launches it looks for that file. If it exists it uses it to set up your blank document view settings. If you change settings in a file; for instance you’re working on car.max and you’ve set up 4 viewports instead of the default 1 you have in maxstart.max, then every time you load car.max it will load w/ 4 viewports.

For settings like measuring units, size of icons, menu commands, buttons on the toolbar, etc… You use the Customize\Preferences… and Customize\Customize User Interface… menu commands.

Sure there is. For each desired primitive you’d have to create a macroscript that creates the primitive with all of the default settings you want. Then assign that macro tool to a hot key, menu or button. Its not super intuitive for a non-scripter to do, but it can be done.

then you have some other ribbon or hotkey to use instead of the creation panel. I miss this feature too :confused:

Hey Jeff! I thought he was talking about vanilla max , but yeah with scripting its positively possible :slight_smile:

Sadly the Modeling tab on the Ribbon was never extended past being a mirror for the Edit Poly modifier’s command on the Command Panel. If there were primitive buttons on the Ribbon they’d be trivial to replace. The Ribbon is nothing but a XAML file for the layout and a bunch of macroscript files to control the operation.

While I haven’t made a new derived primitive class in MaxScript in a while I believe you can specify that your derived primitve’s create button appears in the Standard Primitives group on the create tab. Again, more work than even just creating some MacroScripts, but you could derive new scripted primitives for Box, Cone, Sphere, GeoSphere, et. al. and have their buttons show up in the standard Command Panel create tab with the regular primitives.