DDS export from 64bit Photoshop

Is there another plugin available for Photoshop 64 that will let you save/export DDS files? nVidia has stopped updating the plugin set and wont source it, so I’m dead in the water.

Is there a python lib or anything if not a plugin?

Thanks

Can you do it via DirectX (either in C++ or managed DX with .NET)? That’s what we’ve developed here for some things (an intermediary export to a .tga and then a conversion to .dds with a custom dds converter).

After doing a bit of reading, It seems most people’s solution to this problem is to install 32bit photoshop. Quite the crummy option.

Texture tools 2 Found here Contains a command line tool to generate DDS files, which shouldn’t be too hard to batch if you need lots of files processed. It also contains a .lib for the tool if you’re into writing exporters.

In response to the issue of 64-bit incompatibility, I wrote a simple javascript-based tool (really just a front end for Nvidia’s Texture Tools 2 command-line functionality) for exporting DDS files from 64-bit versions of Photoshop. Although the tool works with 32-bit and 64-bit flavors of Photoshop, it’s not as feature rich as Nvidia’s plugin. As such, Nvidia’s plugin probably makes more sense for 32-bit Photoshop installs. Please check out the tool, and let me know what you think. : )

http://docs.kaneva.com/mediawiki/index.php/Photoshop_DDS_Exporter

Eric N. Evans
Technical Artist
Kaneva LLC
http://www.ericnevans.com

can you clarify this step?

Open the “pref.jsx” file in any text editor.

• Verify that the “str_cmdPath” variable points to the location of the “cmd.exe” application.
  • Verify that the “str_nvttPath” variable points to the location of the “nvcompress.exe” (Nvidia Texture Tools 2) application.

I’m only seeing one declaration of that variable.

I’m probably missing something.

Thanks

EDIT:::::

ah…sorry, never mind. I was looking at the wrong file.

[QUOTE=Hobbs;7147]can you clarify this step?

Open the “pref.jsx” file in any text editor.

• Verify that the “str_cmdPath” variable points to the location of the “cmd.exe” application.
  • Verify that the “str_nvttPath” variable points to the location of the “nvcompress.exe” (Nvidia Texture Tools 2) application.

I’m only seeing one declaration of that variable.

I’m probably missing something.

Thanks

EDIT:::::

ah…sorry, never mind. I was looking at the wrong file.[/QUOTE]

No worries. : ) Were you able to get the tool up and running? Please, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks.

Yep, the tool runs great. Thanks.

My only suggestion would be to put a note in the wiki stating “if you used the default installation for texture tools2, keep the default preferences” or something along those lines.

It took me a few hours of guess work until i saw your note stating need strings readable in dos 8.3. I kept trying to have it read “C:\Program Files…” An error on my part, but maybe others might have the same issues?

Just a suggestion.

[QUOTE=Hobbs;7149]Yep, the tool runs great. Thanks.

My only suggestion would be to put a note in the wiki stating “if you used the default installation for texture tools2, keep the default preferences” or something along those lines.

It took me a few hours of guess work until i saw your note stating need strings readable in dos 8.3. I kept trying to have it read “C:\Program Files…” An error on my part, but maybe others might have the same issues?

Just a suggestion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the Wiki and the readme.txt file as per your excellent suggestion. That’s one less obstacle in the paths of would be users. : )

much clearer. Thanks : )

I love to see this sort of stuff go on here, keep it up!

Just wanted to thank EEVans for this little utility - it’s a major time-saver and a very clever solution to a problem that has been plaguing developers for years!

You’re most welcome, calydon. :): The project was a fun exercise for me, and I’m thrilled that you’ve managed to get some use out of it.

Probably well-known, but there’s now a 64-bit version of the exporter on the NVIDIA site. It lists unnamed “bug fixes” too – hopefully they fixed the MIP bug? Will test! (The docs are still dated 2007 – can’t have everything, heh)

http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1489

In response to the 64-bit is not compatible, I wrote a simple JavaScript-based exports from the 64-bit version of Photoshop’s tools for DDS files (actually just NVIDIA Texture Tools 2 command line front-end functions)…