Maya 2012, Windows 8 display/refresh bug

Hey all,

I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 and have run into what seems like a display bug. Whenever our legs are in IK mode and we scrub the timeline/move controls that affect the leg joints, we see a lot of ‘shaking’ in the leg joints/skinned mesh. This does not affect the exported data sent to our game engine, and running dgdirty -a snaps the legs into a new location - which makes me believe it’s a refresh/update issue I’m having. I’ve tested this problem with 3 artists using windows 7 and 3 artists using windows 8, and every artist using windows 8 sees the problem, where those using windows 7 do not.

I’ve tried creating normal IKSCSolvers from scratch but the problem does not seem to exist in this scenario. Perhaps there is an aspect of our rig that functions/draws differently now that we’re on a new OS? Seems potentially far fetched, but I’m currently at a loss for why this would be occurring.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Additional specs for our team members: Maya 2012 - hotfix 4, AMD Radeon HD 6670

stab in the dark: Are there default ik settings that changed between the Maya OS versions? As in, is ‘snap’ on by default on the window 8 machines, and off by default on the windows 7 machines?

Thanks for the response. I tried turning off snap enable on the ikHandles and didn’t have any luck fixing the issue. Nice shot in the dark though, as I wouldn’t have guessed to try that. After further investigation, it does seem that the shaking is making its way into our exported data - which makes this a larger problem than previously expected. Any more thoughts, ideas to try?

Also wanted to add that I’ve run Maya as if it’s being run on Windows 7 using compatibility mode and the problem goes away (the same results as a user who is solely running Windows 7). This is a temporary work around to the problem, but we would still like to understand why this difference is happening between Windows 7 and 8.