What sub-categories should I study to further my Technical Artist career?

There are so many things to learn and paths to take to become a Technical Artist. I would love to learn them all but that might take a few hundred years if it is even possible.

Here is a list of some sub-categories I know or currently am studying. I am wondering what are the most important sub-categories that I should be focusing on. I am looking to eventually master more of these categories but don’t know which ones to pick first.

• Tool development
  • Rendering pipelines
  • Graphics APIs
  • How game engines work on the inside
  • Shaders / materials
  • Lighting / post-processing
  • Optimizations
  • Mesh generation

Please let me know if I am missing any. For more context I am mostly on the programming side of tech art.

Probably one could be included in optimizations and the other is more like basics but these two come to my mind

• Performance analysis (intelgpa, renderdoc, nvida insight)
  • Maths

I would personally pair it down to:

• Tools Development
  • Math (particularly vector math)
  • Art Pipelines (Digital Content Creation Software & Engine Workflows)

A solid foundational knowledge of tool, math, and art pipelines will carry over to all the other areas you have an interest in.

You may want to put the visual related stuff aside for the time being. Generally speaking these are not typical responsibilities for entry level positions, Tech Artist or otherwise. Not saying it isn’t important or worthwhile, just that established studios tend to hire vets with specialized experience for these kind of jobs. You would however be doing yourself a big favor to gain an understanding of Linear Workflow now.

I would pick firstly:

• Pipelines
  • Math
  • Tool Development
    that is more universal for all path

Greetings Jason -

Great Question!

I just so happen to have a video explaining this topic, in-depth:

This is all very subjective but it comes down to four major area of work/employment:

1. Pipelines
  2. Rigging
  3. Visual Effects
  4. Lighting and Rendering

There is one area that is a bit of an anomaly and that this all things related to mo-cap and “Technical animation”. Is this under VFX, animation, pipeline, rigging ??? It all depend on the company. However, the skills required to do these jobs are the same skills and well rounded tech artist would need to go into pipelines and rigging. Please respond with any other questions.

1 Like