[Unity Editor]

My friends and I are working on a tile based game, and I’m trying to come up with a tool to quickly make the scene assets. Here’s what I got so far:

//youtu.be/kbDwjm7tJDs

Right now I just tell the tool what sprites to use where, so next I need to come up with a pipeline to designate groups of sprites that make up an asset.

If you folks have ideas or comments, let me know!

I’m using assets from http://kenney.nl/

I added a new helper window that I use to designate a group of sprites as a building’s facade or roof. The way it works is I assign a sprites to each corner and edge, and a sprite for the fill. The window then writes to a separate data file that information.

As you can see here, I’ve filled out 2 different building facades, Brick_Red and Brick_Grey. Each facade has 9 pieces, like a sliced sprite in UI.

My DrawAsset window was updated to read from that data file to get the different facade and roof options.

Now I can choose which kind of building I want to make.

Next, I need to add ‘alternate’ tiles for each piece to achieve more randomness.

My first impulse would be to tool up an interface to allow an artist to design their own tile set via drag and drop texture slots.

That is my intention with the AssetBuilder window. It’s not pictured, but yeah, for each tile set I clicked/dragged sprites from the Project into the slots.

roguelikeCity_transparent_334 is assigned to Brick_Red’s upper left corner. I definitely need some labeling.

Here’s a video of it all in action so far.

//youtu.be/5m_uBKFv_rc

Expanding the tool a bit to also handle paths, with all their little intersection types.

//youtu.be/SISsfTNBZgo