Standalone 3dsmax Python using pymxs

While it’s pretty well documented how to startup and run Maya standalone via mayapy.exe I’ve been unable to find any similar documentation for how to accomplish the same with 3dsmax.

It’s easy enough to locate Maxs Python interpreter, eg
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2022\Python37\python.exe"
Starting a command prompt in the root Max install folder and running the interpreter does what I expect, but then crashes immediately after import pymxs
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2022>Python37\python.exe
Python 3.7.12 (remotes/origin/adsk-contrib/3dsmax/cpython-3.7.12:a3244da8bf7, Oct 27 2021, 14:3) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pymxs

Is this just classic 3dsmax shoddyness on display or have I missed critical documentation like something similar to Maya requiring maya.standalone.initialize(name="python")?

Any info appreciated. :grin:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-0968FF0A-5ADD-454D-B8F6-1983E76A4AF9

you need to use 3dsmaxbatch rather than the python interpreter itself

Ah so I assume this is the same as the old 3dsmax.exe -batch ... mode in that it will run the script you pass but you can’t just drop into the interpreter directly.

Correct - you can’t use the max python interpreter interactively in the same way as you can with maya.

1 Like