popUpMenu mel notes: "dagObjectHit"

Better yet!
( for returning long names; a straightforward solution from cgtalk, credit: Vincenzo )

link

I tryed the method suggested by claydough. It worked great but there is something missing: if we use the object name returned by default markingMenu Maya proc, deleting all menuItems but the “objectName…” one, we do not get the full pathname of the object. Hence we cannot pass it to commands because it will fail if more than one object has the same name.
What I found is to query the command associated with the “Select” menuItem, that returns a string of type ("select -r " + $objectFullPathname). Then I tokenize and use that for passing arguments to other procs.
Hope this is useful…
vincenzo

haven’t been able to try yet hopefully soon.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering if similar code could allow for changing attributes about an object when the mouse is hovered over it.

What I’m looking to create is a sort of mouse over effect for rig controls. Ideally it would do something like hide the shape node of a control until the mouse hovers over it.

At 1 minute into this video on Dreamworks Premo animation system, it shows something similar to what I’d like to achieve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N16Qsj6kAhw#t=61

Do you know how one would go about doing something like this?
Thanks!