Please critique my tech art portfolio site - autorigger, code sample

I would appreciate any feedback on my site :):

Some immediate things regarding the site:

• it looks really dated. I don’t expect you to be a web designer, but just picking up bootstrap would make it look current with minimal effort
  • lose the animated gifs
  • put your reel on the front page ready to play. I almost didnt even see the reel link

Thanks for the input. I made all 3 changes. :):

It looks like there’s a lot of talent and skill demonstrated in the videos. The website (and some of the video) though could use some context. I look through a lot of it, and am thinking, “what am I looking at?”. Even on the main website landing page, the tool names are displayed, when I have no idea what they are, out of context. (the largest word on the main page is “abjArm”.)

Some titles would help:

Rigging Tools and Shader Work by Aleks…

Arm Rigging Example - (pyqt, openmaya)

Pose Space Deform…

I’m very curious about the main tool UI. It looks neat, and wish there were more details on it.

I agree with pat. There’s no explanations for anything. Try showing it to your friends first and ask them what each tool does. Even if they dont understand it they should be able to say “oh that one helps rig an arm” or whatever.

Hiring folks have to look through thousands of resumes and website reels. They need to get as much information as possible to make a yes/no decision. The first round is HR, they usually have limited knowledge of the position so you need to make the site consumable by them. They will either pass or move it on to someone who knows more about the position. So if theres just videos with now context, it may cause them to pass just out of confusion.

It’s like a video game, you have to let a person play it without sending them a designer to tell them how to play it. They should be able to figure it out and get what they need on their own.

Thanks so much everyone!