My folio on iOS - sama.van - Chronology

Hello,

First to be sure there is not misunderstood about tech-artist.org, please now I made the entire app under Unity3D using C#.

Well, here is the description :

I just released my 3D portfolio app for iOS and would like to share it with the CG community. I built this application to share my work in another way than a simple website with static screenshots.

It is available as free download for iphone, ipod and ipad. 100% free, no ads and no in app purchases.

The most important feature is the 3D browser window where you can preview my 3D work and freely manipulate the camera. Different display modes are available in the browser window to show the diffuse texture, the wireframe, play animation sequences and display credit info.

Link to the iTunes store page :

Here is a preview of the pieces showcased in the app - a total of 97 models. There is a known bug on the model ElevatorB causing the app close but it should be fixed with the next update.

I would be very interested to hear your feedback and ideas to make the application better!!
Thank you for your time!

sama.van

That’s a really neat idea, and I may steal it from you when I learn more about 3D. I’m not sure how many companies would take the time to do that (or that is even your intention) but it is still a cool idea.

Nice job.

Did you use the OnGUI() function in Unity? It’s quite a performance hit.

I am using this class :

And yeah that is memory consume…

A button is about 2 draw call, one for the button and one for the text on it I suppose.
I let you add all the button for the interface from the viewer… hahaha.
Draw call consume but its ok for this kind of app. :wink:

Well most important is too keep FPS high as possible.
I know there is better way to generate GUI with some extra plug-in but it seems there will be more performance on this side into the next Unity 3.5 update… Let’s wait and see :D:

:slight_smile: Yeah, you can always use their GUITexture types also. All of that is taken care of within the Update function but I don’t think it is as easy as using the OnGUI buttons and fun stuff. It’s been a while though. But nice job. Cool idea man.

No iDevice here, but I gotta say, love the presentation. The fact that it’s not “simply” a viewer, but includes all the important toggles for diffuse, wireframe, etc, is fantastic. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting some art on my phone now that I’ve gotten my Unity Android license (I’ve got stuff that works for webplayer, but relies on keyboard shortcuts to toggle stuff), but it had never occurred to me to distribute via AppStore, which is an ace idea.

Really cool idea man!

Thanks everyone!!

Then here is a video for people they do not have the chance to own an i-thing!!

Wow! This is awesome :slight_smile:

How often did you use the unity community? I find it to be very helpful. If I search for something I’m not to sure about (Like using touch on a phone since I’ve not done it much) and just add “Unity3d” to the search I normally get something.

Thank you!

@ austin : you should find good resource here!! :slight_smile:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/30_search.html?q=touch

Dude this is an awesome idea and you have done a very good job creating the app too! It’s fantastic.

Now just a tip on your Youtube video… add some music!

Hello guys!

Just a quick note to say a new update is available from yesterday (1.1.2).

A few bug fix and now a total of 111 models!

Please enjoy it ^__^!!

EDIT :
@Kameleon : Well, just added a music from Youtube edit menu… Time for the server to process and this should be available in a while :slight_smile:

Hi!

A new update is available from this morning ^_^!

• 12 news scenes with 100% FX content
  • 4 news scenes with levels.
  • 2 new camera systems for large levels (flying camera and walk camera)
  • Viewer menu improved.

Below the icons for the new scenes available :

And a preview of those effects :

//youtu.be/6ZgnGvp8J4I

Thanks again for watching and stay tuned for coming update ^_^!!

Hello,

I come with good news!!

The public version where you can use your own 3D model on iOS will be available on the i-store very soon!!

But before I would need a few tester wishing to be part of it.

If you give it a try you will have your 3D gallery on the main app menu for the release!

Requirement :

a - to own an iOS device (iphone, ipod or ipad)
b - to be able to download data on your device though a Wifi connection.
c - to own a ftp server and to be able to upload your own asset and extra resource
d - to own 3D asset made by yourself only.
e - to download and install Unity free version : http://unity3d.com/unity/download/ (Available on both PC and MAC).
f - to register on https://testflightapp.com/ for build sharing.

You can test the current version of the viewer here : http://itunes.apple.com/app/sama.van-chronology/id474749657?mt=8

Features are exactly the same.
The difference comes from a very first menu gathering your folio content trough an URL to be downloaded on the device.

If you are interested to be part of the tester team you can send an email with to : contact at samavan dot com

Please attach url with preview to models you would like to use to build your 3D gallery o_<

Important Note : Still on development, the current version accepts models with 1 material using 1 texture only.

Thank you much!!

Wow, that’s really cool! I love being able to have a proper nosey at everything in ways that just wouldn’t be possible on video or images.