[MoBu] Character Extension: Recommended workflow?

Hi all:

I’m kind of getting my hands a little more dirty in MoBu over the past few weeks and trying more stuff in it other than for just simple re-targeting of animations. One thing that the MoBu documentation is kind of sparse on is the issue of character extensions. Is it general convention to add the actual joints from the character as the extension objects themselves, and if so, is there a way to automatically generate the control objects for them when the control rig is created? According to their hideous mia template character, it seems like they just made a separate control object and used that as part of the character extension instead, but that would obviously modify the original hierarchy of the skeleton (which I don’t want to have to do since it will essentially mean that re-exporting the FBX for in-game usage will be a lot more tricky if the skeleton hierarchy has been modified) so I was wondering what people do here. Do you guys just make control objects with conventional constraints and have those as part of the character extension definition, or is there a way to make bone objects part of the character extension and automatically generate control objects for them when the control rig is generated as well?

Thanks!