Export animation with blend shapes while excluding model

Is it possible to export animations with blend shapes while excluding the model?

I’m currently exporting each animation in a separate FBX. This process was working fine until I started adding blend shapes.

If I export just the animation and the skeleton, the blend shapes won’t show up in Unity. So I now have to include the model in each exported animation.

The model contains the blendshape node and any animation on the blendshape, I don’t personally know how you would export it without having the model stored in the FBX.

Why are you wanting to not have the model in the export?

Why are you wanting to not have the model in the export?

To save space and avoid bloating the git repo. I’m also just assuming it’s best practise to do it this way.

Yeah dealt with this at my old studio. Get the blendshape, names and target names intact on a single triangle mesh, named the same as the full mesh, Unity does everything with names so it’s kinda like a proxy for the full mesh but much less data obviously.

Did something similar at my previous job, I want to say it worked with unreal in addition to Unity, but I can’t remember if there were any major distinctions pipeline wise.
@Zackaroni am I misremembering?

Yeah dealt with this at my old studio. Get the blendshape, names and target names intact on a single triangle mesh, named the same as the full mesh, Unity does everything with names so it’s kinda like a proxy for the full mesh but much less data obviously.

Thank you, I was able to reduce the file size a little using this hack. After baking the animation, I deleted all but 1 triangle on the model, deleted history, and then exported it.

I’m wondering if it is possible to use this same hack for the blend shapes. I haven’t had any luck yet as it appears they need to be kept intact. I could be missing something obvious here.