Back from GDC: Slides, and looking forward

“Rendering Wounds in Left 4 Dead 2”

omp sounds very interesting, sort of remember rob expounding on it’s virtues @ polycount as well?

poke poke, poke? poke…

poke
poke?

[QUOTE=gashworm;5889]“Rendering Wounds in Left 4 Dead 2”
http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Vlachos-GDC10-Left4Dead2Wounds.pdf[/QUOTE]

This looks fantastic… was Maya used just for prototyping??
was actual ellipsoid culling and wound geometry/texture viewable within
Maya as well?

:nod:

Yes, they were viewable in Maya. Due to the limitations of the HLSL plugin, however, the culling was applied post-skin instead of pre-skin. In consequence, the culled area didn’t deform with the mesh. We didn’t make any investment to solve that, because we could already more easily see the results in our model viewer. There, it was easy to quickly cycle through the hundreds of animations of the horde members to see how the wounds worked in motion. We also had the ability to activate them in-game through the console to review them en masse, seeing the same wound simultaneously on a variety of infected.

Here are my slides, which contain more information about the authoring of the wound sets, along with the variation system for the horde:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf

Keep Your Back StraightIt is important to keep your back straight and your knees locked. This is the one area where golf rookies can improve as they often have the tendency to curve their backs. Ishiner To realize optimum power in your swing, it is imperative to find proper golf clubs for sale and keep your body weight in the middle of your feet ?C don’t stand on your heels or toes as this tends to unbalance you for the shot.

great stuff Rob. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Bronwen;6194]Yes, they were viewable in Maya. Due to the limitations of the HLSL plugin, however, the culling was applied post-skin instead of pre-skin. In consequence, the culled area didn’t deform with the mesh. We didn’t make any investment to solve that, because we could already more easily see the results in our model viewer. There, it was easy to quickly cycle through the hundreds of animations of the horde members to see how the wounds worked in motion. We also had the ability to activate them in-game through the console to review them en masse, seeing the same wound simultaneously on a variety of infected.

Here are my slides, which contain more information about the authoring of the wound sets, along with the variation system for the horde:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing Bronwen. : ) As a tech artist and a big Left 4 Dead fan (and all things Valve for that matter), I’m fascinated by the creative solutions needed to pull off these sorts of effects. By the way, the “Introducing New Tools to Artists without Getting Spitballed” article that you contributed to Game Developer Magazine was excellent. I think it speaks to what the job is really about for us on a personal level (i.e. helping others to excel at and to love their jobs even more). : )

[QUOTE=Bronwen;6194]Yes, they were viewable in Maya. Due to the limitations of the HLSL plugin, however, the culling was applied post-skin instead of pre-skin. In consequence, the culled area didn’t deform with the mesh. We didn’t make any investment to solve that, because we could already more easily see the results in our model viewer. There, it was easy to quickly cycle through the hundreds of animations of the horde members to see how the wounds worked in motion. We also had the ability to activate them in-game through the console to review them en masse, seeing the same wound simultaneously on a variety of infected.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf[/QUOTE]

This is awesome reading. It’s given me food for thought in the brute-force vs. elegant and cunning solution continuum.