Useful materials for you

Hi all,

I am looking for some materials (books, dvds, etc) that’s useful for TAs, TDs, artists and programmers in general.

Anyone has any recommendations or things you think proved to be useful or plan to buy yourself?

Currently I wanna buy this book.

Cheers,
Light

Not probably very useful for TAs, but I’ve been getting into digital sculpting of late (I know all you high budget guys have been doing it for years, but it’s typically beyond the scope of us low-budget guys).

These books are very good for that-

Digital Character Modeling 2

Zbrush Character Creation

And Sculpting A Galaxy: Inside The Star Wars Model Shop Lovely book with great pictures, but sadly very poorly bound. I got it from Waterstones which meant I could take it back and get a slightly less poorly bound copy.

I haven’t yet got the Stan Winston one. I think this is the one. That’s next on my wish list.

In TA terms I’ve got the Paul Neale rigging seriesof DVDs from CG Academy.

And Ben’s first Shader DVDfrom the same place. Haven’t got the second one yet. Stuck in DS land currently, so not much immediate use.

It’s probably pretty hard to find generically ‘useful’ books for TA’s- well, for CG in general. There are some bona-fide must haves, like ‘anatomy lessons from the great masters,’ some sort of 3D math textbook, etc., but generally technical stuff is usually too simple, too outdated, or too specific.

If you’re looking for stimulating learning materials, I tend to go the route that variety enhances ability and creativity… Read history to better understand people, read biography to learn more leadership, read about technology to improve problem solving, read about anything that interests you. Watching any tutorial DVD or reading any book, I feel I am learning, improving myself- likewise, I know that when we work all day and make no progress we can hold our head up because ‘at least we learned something.’ I find whenever I enjoy and learn more about a subject it always influences my way of thinking about something, and the more ways of thinking about something the better equipped you will be to handle it.

Thanks guys. Nice stuff (:

Cheers,
Light

Art of Rigging http://cgtoolkit.com/book1.htm - I wanted the book after borrowin Mondos, but could only get the .pdf (it was next to nothing, $18 or so). Although it was Maya based with all the MEL, it was still generic enough.

One of my old professors is coming out with a book. When he was writing it, I think it was mostly about rigging, but it appears to have shifted into much more interesting territory.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Character-Development-Theory-Practice/dp/0123725615/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224427935&sr=1-4