At Hinterland, we strive to create thoughtful places for thoughtful players, therefore we put a high premium on the quality of the visuals in our games. We are always looking to improve the skill level of our team, and to expand the diversity of knowledge and viewpoints that make our experiences unique. To that end, we are looking to add a talented Technical Artist to our development team.
You’ve shipped 2-3 high-quality games as a Technical Artist and are accustomed to working in a multidisciplinary team environment. As the studio is comprised of senior developers who enjoy a high degree of autonomy and work at complex cross-disciplinary problem-solving, we place a high premium on people’s ability to communicate effectively, and their willingness to invest time and energy in team communication and collaboration.
In this role, you’ll need to be able to work autonomously, based on guidance provided by the Technical Art Director. It is our intention to hire someone who can grow with the studio and work with us on multiple projects. You need to be a mature developer who wants to “get stuff done”. We run a flexible working environment, and therefore focus on productivity and quality of output vs. hours in the chair. This means everyone we hire has to be motivated, professional, and needs the minimum amount of hand-holding, while still being able to work to clear direction and check in regularly for feedback. We have been able to develop The Long Dark and other projects without any crunch, and we’d like to keep it that way, and this depends on having motivated, skilled, professional developers who are willing to contribute to goal-setting, planning, and tracking efforts.
- Provide support to content creators with technical problems or workflow issues
- Improve inefficiencies in artist workflows through tools and documentation
- Ensure art is created to spec and within technical budgets
- Profile for performance bottlenecks and propose optimization solutions
- Develop and optimize shaders and post processing effects
- Create and maintain character rigs
- Research and develop new technologies that enhance visual quality or solve artistic challenges
- Experienced with art workflows and tools development in the Unity and Unreal engines
- Experienced at building tools to support art creation pipelines in Maya and Motionbuilder
- Proficient at profiling and debugging for art and rendering related optimizations
- Proficient at writing shaders using Cg/HLSL
- Proficient at character rigging and skinning in Maya
- Strong understanding of modeling and animation principles
- Excellent communication skills with the willingness to collaborate with others
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to multitask
Hinterland is an equal-opportunity employer. The studio is comprised of a multi-national, multi-ethnic team. We value a diversity of backgrounds. We also value veteran experience and a strong work ethic that supports the studio’s culture and values. Our work ethic and production methodology is built around a “Getting Stuff Done” paradigm. We embrace a flexible working environment that affords our team members the opportunity to enjoy family time and exercise self-care. We balance this out with very high expectations about the quality of output from everyone on the team. We offer a variety of perks, but do not believe perks are the same thing as culture.
(Also, everyone who joins our team gets a pair of slippers. They are nice slippers.)