Filter is seeking an experienced Technical Artist/Character TD to join a Research team in Pittsburgh. Technical Artists are generally responsible for the technical aspects of art asset development. This entails working closely with Art and Engineering to develop and support the asset pipeline, animation & rigging tools, animation rigs, and material consistency on deforming models.
This opportunity would afford someone the opportunity to work on both stylized and realistic avatars - pursuing paths that fall outside of the gaming pipeline, and diving into unchartered territories.
This role is a long-term contract (1+ year) and would sit onsite at our client site in Pittsburgh, PA. You would be a Filter Employee and eligible for benefits.
• Design and build deformation rigs for characters, creatures, props, etc.
• Develop Maya tools and plug-ins for rigging and animation production
• Work closely with Character Artists on mesh topology and asset build plans optimized for animation/deformation and shading
• Work with Engineering to develop run-time character animation trees and supporting tech in UE4
• Research new methods of efficiently prototyping and building complex real-time assets such as realistic facial and body deformation rigs
• Develop broad technical expertise in UE4 to assist in a wide variety of technical and artistic tasks
• Provide troubleshooting, support and mentorship to art team members and research scientists
• 5+ years of relevant experience as a Technical Artist and/or Character TD with an emphasis on Character/Creature work
• Proven experience rigging and skinning complex character assets
• 5+ years experience with Maya, Python/PyMEL, C++ API, PySide/PyQt
• Positive attitude and good communication skills
• Comfortable collaborating with a small multi-disciplinary team
• Knowledge of anatomy and kinematics
• Experience shipping high-profile projects
• A passion for gaming and the potential of VR
• Experience working with UE4 and/or Unity
• Advanced facial and body rigging experience
• PBR shader knowledge
• Experience with cloth and hair simulation
Please respond via email, with your resume and a link to your portfolio, to: