Blackbird Interactive is seeking a passionate and talented Technical Art Director for an unannounced title with a major publishing partner. The Technical Art Director will work collaboratively with both the art and programming teams, production staff, and other craft directors to forge an incredible game over a multi-year development cycle.
Do you enjoy challenges requiring multidisciplinary solutions? Are you the unique individual possessing a technical mastery of computer graphics and an uncanny eye for art and aesthetics? Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create visual experiences? If so, this role could be for you!
- Ownership of technical strategy and planning for visuals, as taken through all stages of development: concept, pre-production, production, and final
- Direct team art leads in the development of effective and efficient content workflows and pipelines
- Achieve highest-quality standards and styles in production art, within the time and budget constraints of the project
- Work directly with the Studio CG Supervisor to help define and share studio-wide best practices for content and rendering
- Collaborate on feature designs with other directors in the areas of art, engineering, production, design, and audio
- Ensure the scalability and consistency of visuals across a wide spectrum of hardware specs
- Deliver performance profiles at target resolutions & frame rates
- Coordinate with programming, rendering, and tools teams on relevant features
- Manage, direct, and mentor more junior technical art staff
- 7+ years experience as a senior creative lead on AAA or comparable title
- BS, BA, or advanced degree in computer science or visual arts, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to combine deep technical expertise with a strong proficiency in visual arts to successfully solve problems
- Proficiency across multiple areas of 3D production, including modeling, texturing, rigging, VFX, lighting, rendering, and shading
- Adept in one or more programming languages including Python, C/C++, C#
- Strong understanding of physically-based rendering and its applications
- Comprehensive and hands-on knowledge of DCC applications, including Maya, Photoshop, Substance, Z-Brush, Houdini, etc.
- Expert knowledge of one or more 3rd party game engines (ie Unreal, Unity)
- Knowledge across a broad range of fundamentals in 2D/3D computer graphics techniques Experience developing custom tools and pipelines for content creation
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to write and speak in a concise and clear manner in an environment that promotes influence, and partnerships across a diverse matrix of team members and disciplines
- Participate as a leader and hands-on contributor through all stages of production.
At Blackbird, we’re all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO’s garage, and even though we’re expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it’s important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we’ve demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it’s lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don’t expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.