TAO @ Area & who's upgrading (Maya 2011)?

has this been posted yet?
No immodest self promotion by Seth? :cool:

link

Our time line for upgrading depends on third party plug-in dev. But I’ll be pushing hard for it.

I’m going to push as hard as I can for my studio to upgrade to Maya 2011.

It’ll be a tough sell though, because we’re a max house :laugh:

[QUOTE=claydough;6022]has this been posted yet?
No immodest self promotion by Seth? :cool:

link

.[/QUOTE]

Ahh you beat me to it!:laugh:

[QUOTE=Foxious;6031]I’m going to push as hard as I can for my studio to upgrade to Maya 2011.

It’ll be a tough sell though, because we’re a max house :laugh:[/QUOTE]

All the more reason to push! :laugh:

we’re a maya house and tech arts already pushed max in.
not even going to renew 2009 licenses/subscription as far as I can tell :x:

Definitely pushing for it. Too many goodies to pass up.

Fingers crossed here for a quick upgrade. Won’t happened for this show now but next one is not out of the question.

Moving across to it now! 2009->2011, should be a nice jump with all the features.

• I’ll be ditching / re-factoring a lot of the tools I have written that are now in 2011 :tear:

Oh well, this is the way of the world

~B)

[QUOTE=greuh;6044]we’re a maya house and tech arts already pushed max in.
not even going to renew 2009 licenses/subscription as far as I can tell :x:[/QUOTE]

Your TA’s moved you from maya to max?

If so, they deserve to be fired at best, and puclicly humiliated and blacklisted at worst. Max is a nightmare to develop in and any TA worth his salt wants the easiest app to develop in- which is, unequivically and unanimously, not Max.

We’re adopting right now. Great time to be entering pre-production. Being able to just load Qt Designer .ui files is… well… it’s just great.

I’m a little teary.

But seriously, I’m giddy at the implications of all the cool new stuff they’ve added. Especially since we’re an Unreal based project and they are jumping onboard the Autodesk train with both feet these days.

-L

Hahahaha, tell us what you really think of Max Rob?

~B)

[QUOTE=Rob Galanakis;6055]Your TA’s moved you from maya to max?

If so, they deserve to be fired at best, and puclicly humiliated and blacklisted at worst. Max is a nightmare to develop in and any TA worth his salt wants the easiest app to develop in- which is, unequivically and unanimously, not Max.[/QUOTE]

Haha. I agree.

Black Rock are going Maya 2008 -> Maya 2011 right now.

We’re finding 2011 hasn’t added a great deal for modelers as most of neat stuff was in 2009/2010 - preserve UVs anyone? For animators, they’re gonna love it! One of our guys put the HIK through its paces and it’s nice not having them go through Motionbuilder. WIN WIN on most fronts.

I’m definitely liking QT Creator though… Although my major gripe has to be the delayed reaction to context selection and some UI windows. The Hypershade takes 2-5 seconds to launch each time (with just a handful of materials) and the file dialog leaves a lot to be desired - thankfully the file dialog can be switched back to the NativeOS. Even going from component to object can be hit and miss at times.

I guess a service pack will be out in a few months to address these.

[QUOTE=Rob Galanakis;6055]Your TA’s moved you from maya to max?

If so, they deserve to be fired at best, and puclicly humiliated and blacklisted at worst. Max is a nightmare to develop in and any TA worth his salt wants the easiest app to develop in- which is, unequivically and unanimously, not Max.[/QUOTE]

while I am not really exposed to the whole thinking behind all this, but as a somewhat ‘power’ user of Maya I am clearly disappointed.
Hopefully some good will come out of it?

Out of curiosity, with such strong feelings about Max, would you be able to elaborate on the reasons for Bioware to work with Max?
I know for us, at least from what I was told, recruiting Maya users has been quite difficult in the Montreal area.
And while it’s always funny to watch those gdamn Max monkeys try to get something done in Maya :eek:, it always inevitably makes me cry inside when I have to open their scene files.

anyway, that’s probably not really relevant to this thread.

My guess is the animation pipeline is using Puppetshop. An excellent max plugin.

I really like Max… :sigh:

I’m not against liking or using Max, I’m against TA’s moving a studio from Maya to Max. And I’ll say the same thing about what BioWare Edmonton did moving from PuppetShop to CAT, it was a terrible decision (EDIT: I’ll cut myself off there and not risk pissing some people off).

No good technical TA is going to want to move from a broken development environment with lots of hard-to-script features, to a strong development environment missing some, or even many, of those features.

As a TA the only time in my career I was able to influence on a new package was 5 years ago and it was to switch from Maya to XSI. We were going from a pre rendered pipeline to a Real-time pipeline and was a success and was easy to dev with XSI.
And all the other times I had to do a %!@#$ switch was a demand from artists, leads or managers … furthermore most of theses switch did’nt even have a business case nor dev plan or accurate resources to make the actual switch. (And in Montreal add French politics)
My opinion is that Maya has a great C++ Api compare to Max but mel and python for me is slower to do dev then the .Net/Maxscript combo in Max. But in the end the choice is up to what your artist are used to work with and overall what solutions is going to cost less money to get to your ends. And I honestly hate both packages they’re old and still not that stable.
I had a great experience working with XSI and honestly would like to do so for pre-rendered technology in the future.

Not sure if we’ll take it or not… the license server is going to be upgraded regardless, but as for releasing it across the studio, really not sure. We were Alpha/Beta testers and there’s a lot of stuff which could trip up.

I’m thinking we’ll wait, maybe put a few people onto it and then wait for an SP first. We’ve already got QT running under 2010 so the benefits are reduced.