TA portfolio layout, is this too much?

Hey!

My education is about to end and I’ve been working on my portfolios “about” page, the page that will be first seen when the site is brought up. I haven’t got a host yet so I just saved it out as a png:

Most of the text is just a draft without any grammar checks =}
Also the image is pretty old aswell, will change it to a turntable of myself in the city with the pivot on one of my legs :o

But what I wonder is, is it too much?

Some thing I already notice is the black text on a dark background. This is not very readable. You better use something more bright so the contrast between your background and your text is high enough.

An other thing is whitespace. For a cleaner and easier to read layout you better use enough whitespace. Like have some extra margin on the left of your text and titles.

In my opinion there is to much text on one page. When people see a big block of text they mostly don’t want to read it anymore.

And when I open a portfolio website I would like to see the work first. Not a description about you. The work must convince the user to read the about. And not the other way around. I know that other people will not agree on this. But this is just my opinion :slight_smile:

Yeah you are right. The text needs to be brighter :slight_smile:

I’ve kinda felt like that aswell, while working on this I kept adding and adding stuff and in the end it got too bloated. I think I’ll remove the summary area totally and have a better description of my self in a personal letter or something.

I’ll also agree that I should show the work first as the main page! When I think about it I wouldn’t read someones description without watching their work ^^

Thanks for your input cause it’s so hard to see the flaws in your own work =}

Np :slight_smile: oh and a little tip. Use gradients. Not like the web 2.0 style, but very subtle. It can make a design much better. Now you have only solid colors and that is not so interesting.

Thanks again =} Yes gradients did really make the site completely gorgious (in my eyes atleast xD, I might still be fooling myself :P)

Also removed the entire summary section and shortened most of the text!

Here is the latest preview =}

It is indeed better. how about aligning the images in the center and give the text a margin on the left so it doesn’t stick to the border?

Done =} Updated the above image. Gonna work on a banner and a footer now, refinement for this about page will come later ^^

thanks again m8 =}

Find another image that makes you seem like a tech guy. You are trying to get a job, not a date. grin

Over the shoulder, partially in silhouette, looking at a rig, something like that.

But he looks so happy on the picture! :laugh:

Yeah i would also swap out the picture…

Yeah I will change the image to something more techie :slight_smile: It is a placeholder which I mentioned in the first post :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

A few other things I would say:

1. Right now It’s very easy to tell you’re using tables. (this is a webpage no-no. Some Web designers woln’t even look at content until you fix this.) Solution: You could delete the borders, or change over to CSS. Not sure how much website work you’re going to be doing, but I think it would be worth your time. (not to hard to learn. Check out the book, “CSS, the Missing Manual”)
  2. On the November game, theres no need to have 3 links to the same site.
  3. Line up your headers horizontally.
  4. sign up and post this on these 2 websites, www.polycount.com and http://www.conceptfeedback.com/ (you’ll get a more art/game feedback on polycount, while a more design/web feedback on concept feedback.)
  5. add some left padding on the left column.
  6. Link to resume?

Readability and color aside, I feel that this page is swamped with data. It’s hard to easily pick out the information a employer would be looking for.

If this was my website, i’d switch this over to a simpler (maybe single-column) layout with two pages, One for the contact/personal information, and another page for work experience/CV related stuff. Make it easy for someone scanning your website to understand what you do, and how good you are at it. It’s very visually noisy. It’s hard to expect a website viewer to sift through the noise to discover how awesome you are.

also: Put your contact information in the header of every page. The last thing you want is an employer not to contact you because your contact information is a few clicks away. Facilitate laziness.

also also: Attention to detail! Keep your layout consistent (as mentioned in previous posts)

Hey again all :slight_smile:

I’ve considered all of the suggestions and this is what I came up with so far :slight_smile:

3D Art: www.yasinuludag.com/3dart.html
TechArt: www.yasinuludag.com/techart.html

More suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

I’m not done with the CV / Resume so it’s not up yet, and a new image of myself will be uploaded asap :slight_smile:

Eager to hear what you guys think :slight_smile:

Best regards Yasin!

some thoughts i had.
The visitor counter, skip it…
if you’d like to see how many visitors you have, use something like goole analytics for that. The counter feels like 1998 :slight_smile:

the icons for all the software, add some annotations when hovering over them to see what software it is.

I like the idea you had with the "art/ program skills " by that i mean the statements with the icons of what software you master with the statement. But i´d make the text left-aligned.

Maybe that there is some text outside the “CLICK TO EXPAND FOR DETAILS”, just a short description maybe.

I´d like a downloadable CV aswell :slight_smile:

EDIT: Awsome Pic update! :smiley:

Haha thanks xD

I was unsure if I wanted to use that picture but I went with it anyway since I look so happy lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I fixed annotations both for the big and small icons and left aligned the text :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I’ll do something about the description :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions again ^^

Aight first draft of the CV / Resume is up ^^

http://www.yasinuludag.com

this is small, but i think worth noting: scale the pic down to the size it will be shown as. Also save it as a JPG, no need for a png there. It’s almost a meg :slight_smile:

Yeah alot of the images are really huge, like Samus Aran turntable, it’s actually 1080p which takes quite a while to load. I’ll defo optimize things down :slight_smile: