Shoulder Deformation Question

Hello everyone,

How to rig a shoulder so it moves like on the video?

It moves like rigid lego part but also moving in very organic way. Couldn’t figure out how to achieve that in game engine with joints. Is it possible to do a setup like this and use it with both FK and IK mode?

For that kind of setup, I’d just use a single-chain IK solver, run it along the clavicles to the shoulder then put the IK handle under a control icon. You should be able to set an IK/FK switch as far as I know too! :smiley:

What engine is this for?

Thanks for the quick reply, you mean single IK chain from clavicle to the shoulder, then RP solver IK from shoulder to the wrist? I tried that but it doesnt give me the result I wanted :frowning:

Probably unreal engine

Yep that is what I mean. Are your weights/deformations attached to the single IK chain. In the reference its looks like some of the weighting for the single IK (clavicle/shoulder) has influences on the shoulder, the clavicle, some of the pectoral region and down the back along the Latissimus Dorsi and a bit of the Serratus Anterior. It looks like a lot of weighting is shared in those regions. It appears to be a combination between Joint setup and skinning/deformation regions.

The deformations are definitely more organic because of the distribution of weighting by what would be muscles regions on typical human anatomy.

I am actually talking about mark 2:17 https://youtu.be/XbEMZ1X09QI?t=137

You see shoulder twists without any penetration to to chest, but also when he opens shoulders sideways, it bends.