Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Senior Technical Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll get the chance to see some of the custom 3D tools and pipelines behind the world’s biggest shooters and contribute to our own proprietary technology. This role reports to the Technical Art Director and requires an energetic individual to take a hands-on approach to our pipeline management and tools creation for our studio art team.
If you’ve done some compelling tools and technical work, are eager to make an impact, able to wear multiple hats, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you!
- Develop custom workflows using scripts and coded tools solutions for the art team
- Maintain the integrity of art pipelines by identifying inefficiencies, and recommending and implementing improvements
- Troubleshoot key pipeline issues and solve core problems in cooperation with the development team
- Support the technical art needs of our client-facing project requirements and partner expectations
- Facilitate technical art communication across disciplines by providing clear and constructive feedback and guidance
- Collaborate with a diverse team to promote innovation and refine the visual quality of our games
- Maintain technical art infrastructure for multiple third-party software packages across numerous teams and studios
- 5+ years game industry experience, 3+ years specifically in a technical artist role
- Shipped 1+ AAA title as a Technical Artist
- Expert-level familiarity using Python in a development environment
- Tech-fluency in at least one other development language, such as MEL, C# or C++
- Expert-level familiarity with Autodesk Maya
- Experience working in multiple 3D game engines
- Experience working on a wide range of tech art projects, in terms of art tools, and game hardware
- Expert-level familiarity with developing tools for environment art creation and workflow
- Experience developing pipelines including Substance Designer, Substance Painter, or Houdini
- Able to present (internally and externally) a clear vision of how work addresses problems and requirements
- Excellent communication, documentation and organizational skills
- Experience developing and maintaining a long-term Tech Art tools plan
- Broad interest in real-time rendering technologies and art asset creation tools
- Able to script in multiple languages (Python/Pymel, Perl, Lua, MELScript)
- Experience in managing real-time rendering, run-time analytics, optimization, shaders, and materials
- Able to advise on, research and explore a variety of middleware packages, graphics engines, and content applications
- Able to envision creative ways to leverage ideas and technologies, and integrate big picture through multiple mediums
- Experience developing applications in Python for the Unreal Engine.
- Strong background collaborating with a team of technical artists
- Experience using code review software or practices
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Graphic Art or related field
Certain Affinity offers relocation for this position to Austin, Texas where we make it all happen.