Under the direct supervision of the Rigging Supervisor, this position is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining character, vehicle, and prop rigs that allow animation to achieve the desired production performance. In addition, the Rigging Lead must communicate with other department leads, and support the facilitation of tasks between the Rigging Supervisor and Rigging Artists.
● Work with the Rigging Supervisor to ensure the Animation Department receives character, prop, and vehicle rigs in a timely manner, and with the optimal rigging solution to meet production’s needs.
● Keep the Rigging Supervisor informed of any issues regarding staffing, resources, and deadlines.
● Provide any technical direction on models, so when an asset enters Rigging, it may meet the requirements to achieve appealing deformations to match production artwork.
● Competently utilize existing rigging toolset and pipeline, as well as researching and implementing technological improvements.
● Communicate and collaborate with off-site team members on global projects.
● Review Rigging Artists’ work and provide constructive feedback to create optimal performance rigs, in addition to guiding them to become better artists overall.
● Balance available resources with project expectations and requests.
● Build and maintain rigs to Animation specifications.
● Keep current on rigging techniques and technology.
● Troubleshoot and maintain rig functionality during production.
● Display a positive and professional manner.
● Bachelor’s (BA) degree or equivalent experience.
● Minimum four years experience rigging in feature film animation.
● Minimum two years experience as a Rigging Lead.
● Good understanding of animation and modeling workflows.
● Good understanding of human and animal form and biomechanics.
● Proficiency in current versions of Maya.
● Knowledge in Python, Mel Script.
● Knowledge in C and Maya API is an advantage.
● Comfortable reading and performing math, specifically trigonometry and linear algebra, concepts is appreciated.
● Strong problem solving skills.
● Open to direction and able to adjust to change.
● Able to multitask and prioritize.
● Able to thrive in a high pressure, deadline oriented environment.
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
If you are interested, please apply here: https://jobs.reelfx.com/en/positions/rigging-lead-montreal-toronto-vancouver-652
Please note that Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be considered in priority.