PySide QML/QtDeclarative with AD ME 2014 products?

Hi,

I’m a somewhat of a GUI noob and I’m trying to find the best way to go, for doing GUI that can run within Max, Maya and MotionBuilder.

We currently do cross application tools with Python and PySide and it’s working out fine. It’s the usual deal of doing a UI in Designer, converting it to a Python class and then inheriting from that. So far we’ve used Signal/Slots to hook up triggers (on button press run function). This is fine for small stuff, but it does not always scale well.

For that reason I wanted to look into ViewModels and went through Yasin Uludag’s excellent videos on this: http://www.yasinuludag.com/blog/?p=98 (Thanks Yasin!)

After reviewing this material I found this approach a bit more involved & verbose than I expected it to be. It may well be that you can do things simpler and that Yasins examples are intentionally involved, because he is trying to explain what’s really going on behind the scenes. Unfortunately I’ve have not had time to look properly into Qt ViewModels on my own yet.

Now I’ve just attended some internal training on using WPF/XAML with a View - ViewModel - Model approach. This looks pretty smooth, especially related to binding, observerable .net types and how simple your ViewModels can be. As a result, I’ve been looking at QML/QtDeclarative and it seems to be closer to the WPF/XAML approach.

QML seems more like the future, at least to my untrained eye… But what do you guys think - Is QML the future of doing Qt Interfaces within CG applications? Also do you think it’s mature enough in the 4.x Qt versions that ship with the Autodesk Products?

I tried using QML/QtDeclarative in Maya & MotionBuilder 2014, but my quick attempts failed. Did anyone get it up and running within Maya/MotionBuilder/Max? Or as an external process that you bind to?