Prevent Maya crashing along with PySide widget

Hi!
I am building a character picker using pySide, it’s working OK so far apart from crashing Maya each time it encounters an exception such as an attribute error.

I am using MayaMix and wrapInstance for this just to add some more info.

Now, here’s my question, is there a way to prevent this from happening? I don’t mind the Qt ui crashing but if it’s crashing Maya each time it gets an exception then the picker is useless. There are some error-handling code in the C++ docs but I cannot find the pySide equivalents. Thanks in advance.

Do you have an example of something that crashes? Exceptions normally don’t crash Maya. There might be something else going on.

Hello.
Thanks for replying. I don’t have the code at home and tomorrow is a holiday so the only thing I can say now is it crashes at times when I refresh the GUI, “Attribute Error” is the usual error before everything dies. I will try and isolate it as soon as I can. I hope that there’s a better error-catching mechanism available to me.

Yeah I agree with @marcuso a simple exception shouldn’t be crashing Maya.
PySide does have some instances where the C++ objects and python objects can get out of sync, but they don’t generally cause an AttributeError before blowing up.

Thanks. This character picker is probably the most complicated that I have made so thats probably causing it. simpler GUIs are OK so far. weird…

So one thing to look for is instances where you’re passing some kind of QObject to a method directly instead of binding it to a name.

stuff like: widget.setSomething(SomeObject())
vs

so = SomeObject()
widget.setSomething(so)

Stuff like that can cause issues where the python garbage collector tries to clean up an object that is still needed on the C++ side or vice versa. As python and Qt have different behaviors when it comes to object lifetimes.

Thanks! I will surely try that in the coming days. I was hoping that there’s a definitive pySide/pyQt resource available but I cannot find anything. its a good thing that I dont need to touch it as much.

OK. this is odd. I havent had a crash yet when running the thing in Maya 2018…

I think I have isolated the problem. I will update you guys if I find something. really annoying how maya just dies without giving an error.

OK, spent the whole day cleaning up the code but still crashes maya when it encounters a Fatal exception. :frowning: