[PHOTOSHOP] Pre/Post-Save callback, or replacing Open/Save?

I am looking into doing some “behind the scenes” benchmarking as we are seeing really bad load times in photoshop (as in 30min+).
So i’d like to do what i did for max a while back ideally:

[ul]
[li]Add a callback to pre/post-save and open
[/li][li]Measure file operation time
[/li][li]Fire off a background commandline utility to enter the data measured into a db
[/li][/ul]

Now it seems these kinds of callback do not exist in Photoshop? Can anyone confirm that or am i just blind?

Now another idea i had would be replacing the Open Hotkey and Menu Entry with a custom script that does the measurement but otherwise pretends to be the standard open/save feature.

This will work i assume, but would there be an easy way to roll something like that out for the whole company? I guess that involves local kinds of a lot of things and a startup script to fire them.

Anyone got any experiences to share for such a scenario?

Regards,
Thorsten

You’re looking for Notifiers. Look in your ExtendScript > Help > Object Model Viewer for Notifier. They are like subscribing to events. There is one for Save, but i’m sure about post save. As for a custom menu, I’ve never found a good way to even implement it, maybe cs6’s sdk is more flexible? Anyhow it will most likely need to be a plugin.

I’m not sure what information you’ll get though. If you know the files take 30+ minutes to save, that’s all this callback system will tell you. Big files take a long time to save, simple as that.

Things to looks for:

• 16bit
  • 4k+

Those were the big ones for us in terms of save times.

Hey there and thanks for the feedback. From what i saw before, notifiers are also supported in the scripting APIs, but i only found post-events unless i got that wrong. In regards to the reasons to benchmark this is more about finding out how much of an issue this is across all artists rather than the technical side. We know why the files are slow (6k, a LOT of layers, partly 16bit). This is not really to change though. Depending on the numbers that such a benchmark would give, switching away from PS might be a serious option.

Regards,
Thorsten