Nodal Schem view?

How would you develop something like schematic view in Nuke or Toxik ?
I won’t need the inner functionnalities of nodes, but the graph view. Basically, I would design a few png images as ‘nodes’, each one could have some datas in it (maybe a collapse state and an extended state with editable text), and have input/output connections between them.
Does such thing would be doable with pyqt ? Or is there some module that could help ?

Thks

You might want to look at Networkx or alike for representing the graph itself. Note that as simple as the graph seems it usually is not. You need to evaluate the graph and step through it and avoid infinite loops etc.

If we’re talking purely about graphic representation, there is a sample coming with Qt/PyQt/PySide called diagramscene that is a very basic example of a diagram app allowing to place nodes and connect them

I’d love to see a generic PyQt/PySide library to handle different kinds of graphs and attach arbitrary objects.

Regards,
Thorsten

P.S. another thing you can look at is the Elemental tool in Blur’s Py3dsmax toolset. It also implements a nodeview that is more fusion-like (as in rounded nodes and left to right)

I dont think Qt does this in a nice widget otu of the box. I think a few of us here have rolled our own, but no one has posted code. I havent because im not allowed, im sure the others are in a similar situation.

If you decide to do it yourself, you’ll probably want to look into the QGraphics* widgets. They will allow you to draw and interact with things to create a visual editor like a node graph.

Yes not a lot of things on this.
Seems NodeGraph do it, but dunno if it interactive. pydot for example doesn’t seems to be interactive, it just export an image of the schem.

pyqt indeed works, but would need to see if I can put images for nodes to have a nice design (more like toxik than nuke). Not sure it will be efficient.

You are probably getting better results if you “design” your nodes in a vector way rather than images. With images you’ll have a lot of filtering issues when zooming and it’s not really efficient either i’d guess.

Regards,
Thorsten

Thought this might be a useful reference for you: PyQt Node editor. It’s a node based particle editor written with PyQt for Maya. It may have been made by someone on here but I don’t remember (Tim Withers?). I just have it bookmarked because it looks really slick.

It looks like he released the source code for it too.

Interesting and thanks for the heads up!

Although this isn’t what the original question was asking I thought this might prove useful to some.

Helium schematic framework for Max.

http://www.lumonix.net/helium.html

As used in ShaderFX.