My Shader DVD is out!

Hey everyone,

I did a DVD covering all of the basics of writing cgfx shaders that just got released today, go check it out! I’d love to hear you feedback since it was aimed at tech people like yourselves.

http://eat3d.com/shaders_intro

Good show! …and impeccable timing, i’ve been jonesing to get back into shader dev. I’ll give that a look.

Awesome, it’s fairly entry level stuff, going through the lighting models and normal mapping stuff. But should be a good refresher. The intro sums up the DVD pretty well, plus you’ll get to hear my beautiful accent.

That looks pretty sweet, I might have to get it soon.

Good job dude, i’m definitely gonna pick up a copy when i have some spare. I need to get some cgFX under my belt.

Kick ass Luiz. Nice to see you sharing more of your genius.

I’ve always wanted to get a good, concise intro to shaders. I’m still not tapped to need to do this yet, but when I do, yours will be the course I’ll get.

Congratulations.

Yeah what Jason said, Just plugged it on FB and Twitter, very cool.

Thanks everyone!

The DVD is really basic introduction stuff but has a few nice tricks in there like fake subsurface, vertex animation, reflection tricks.

It is definitely light on the programming side of things like breaking down matrix math, but honestly I didn’t fully grasps those concepts until I shipped a few titles as the sole shader guy, so you can get by =)

I’m gonna buy it soon, my company was nice enough to say they’d get it for me

Looks good! Especially making the same shaders with code and Unreal Material Editor will be extremely helpful for people like me who don’t know much about coding(but want to learn). But I can’t buy it now as I’m trying to get a proper computer first :confused:

I just bought it. I sure wish I had this a year or two ago, but better late than never!

I’ve been wanting to work with cgfx or hlsl in Maya and your DVD is perfect for getting started, plus using the custom lighting model in UDK. It doesn’t cover everything in detail, but considering the time required and the topic, it’s exactly what I was looking for.

For anyone interested, here’s a great companion book, if you want to know more in-depth stuff (beyond what can be covered in a couple hours). Shaders for Game Programmers and Artists

So, for having scarcely above zero prior experience with cgfx (but experience with other shading languages), the DVD looks perfect. Enough to get me started quickly (when I get time to watch it all).

I have literally no custom shader experience… Only node based UDK… Definitely going to get this!!

Thanks everyone!

Please feel free to msg me with any questions you have as you go through the DVD, it’s a ton of information in a short burst of time.

To be successful in this industry you have to be a leader and a friend. If you are a person who is impatient with others get out because then you will lose their friendship and they will drop out very fast. A leader is someone who listens to their client just like a true friend would.Lets look at things outside network marketing as well. If your friends paid attention to something else when you were around them or mistreated you, would you want to be around them? Of course not.

Oooh, nice timing. I’ve just recently started getting into actual shader authoring (as opposed to fiddling a bit with existing ones). Cannibalising Ben Cloward’s shaders has been educational for sure, but this DVD looks like it’ll round off my knowledge nicely :smiley:

Just picked this up yesterday. So far I’m loving it! Really seems to round off my foundation of CG. I’ve been somewhat of a rebel and adjusted the source files to run with 3ds Max as well :stuck_out_tongue:

For anyone on the edge on picking this up, just do it, it’s very worth it.

Great work Luiz!

Thanks Ryan! Glad you’re getting stuff out of it!

Haha, I’ve been doing the same. Bringing the shaders over to Max (and Unity) has been a fun exercise :smiley:

That’s awesome guys!

You should send them to Rikki at Eat3d and see if he can post your files somewhere. If you guys are ok with it =)

Fantastic tutorial Luiz, was about to start digging into this stuff, really helpful for making the jump from UDK to custom written shaders as telekinetic said.

With the Maya light direction conundrum, isn’t it doing what it’s meant to be doing? Seeming the direction of the light is facing towards the mesh, hence having to reverse it to get the true light vector.