Moving onto more general technology/science?

Hello, while I am still a beginner in mastering production animation enough to move onto tech art, I have been wondering when I could master tech art enough to move onto the sciences that allow technology to be possible, more particularly the sciences behind animation technology. The main issue is time and evaluating skill. Are you ever good enough to have the time to move onto more general skills, even when you have mastered the specialized side of Animation? Do you ever have time outside of work to pursue such a thing even if you are assured you won’t be spreading yourself too thin learning other things because you are already a professional? My parents say if I have this interest in general I should throw away these goals of film technology in general and move onto more practical and well paid technology, but the main point is that I want the space to learn the underlying science beyond industrial application, the knowledge that allows the industry to exist, so I can directly imagine new things with my knowledge than just creating the same things in a single field. But as of now, I am barely moving forward being hirable in animation in general, and don’t know what educational path would accompany all of this, so I’m just wondering whether this becomes possible.