[Motionbuilder] Creating a dynamic menu system

Hallo!

It took me a while to write this one. Published it in here:

http://www.eksod.com/2014/02/creating-a-dynamic-menu-system-in-motionbuilder/

Basically it’s a way to create a dynamic menu system based on files you have in the disk so you don’t have to deal with FBGenericMenu and startup files everytime you want to add a new tool to Mobu’s menu. It also doesn’t use an xml or config file for each entry, just a init that you may or may not put stuff in it (like the name of the tool that will become the title of the MenuItem).

It’s a bit dense, you need a quite good understanding of how python import modules work and all the weirdness going on with FBGenericMenu (and how a FBGenericMenuItem magically becomes a FBGenericMenu when you add an item inside an item).

I cut the part of having a tool creating submenus because it would get really confusing.

Next I want to add some metric system to check how often each tool is being used by each animator, which I discussed briefly with Shawn Kirsch on twitter a couple of weeks ago.

Great, keep sharing the MoBu love. Would love to hear what you come up with for metrics. As far as “tracking” I get an e-mail when someone hits an exception, incl. stack, username etc. Pretty basic stuff, but very useful. I use the logging module for that.