Maya - Transferring weighted vertex colors via scripted node

python
maya

Hi all,

I’m looking to create a tool to blend vertex colors from multiple input mesh onto a target mesh in real time, with a scripted node. I have a decent start on the attribute setup, but before sinking too much more time into this I’d like to ask if I’m heading in the right direction.

blendvertexcolors

For example, do I need to match all the sub-attributes of the “colorPerVertex” compound attr exactly for the attribute to “take” (as in adding all those faceVertex attrs, even if I don’t intend to use them).

I’d love to know if I’m going in the complete wrong direction too! Maybe there’s an easier way to do all this.

Thanks!

Recreated the compound node construction and now the attribute connects! Hoping this is the start of a great plugin.

''' defines the input and output attributes as static varaibles in out plugin '''
        numAttrFn = om.MFnNumericAttribute()
        intArrayAttrFn = om.MFnGenericAttribute()
        doubleArrayAttrFn = om.MFnGenericAttribute()

''' input attributes '''
        cls.attrIn_tensionColor_01 = doubleArrayAttrFn.create( 'tensionColor_01', 'tc01' )
        cls.attrIn_tensionIndex_01 = intArrayAttrFn.create( 'tensionIndex_01', 'ti01' )

cls.addAttribute( cls.attrIn_tensionColor_01 )
        cls.addAttribute( cls.attrIn_tensionIndex_01 )

out_compAttrFn_parent = om.MFnCompoundAttribute()
        out_compAttrFn_child1 = om.MFnCompoundAttribute()
        out_compAttrFn_child2 = om.MFnCompoundAttribute()

''' output attribute '''
        cls.outputMeshAttribute = out_compAttrFn_parent.create( 'colorPerVertexOut', 'cpvo01' )
        cls.attrOut_vertexColor = out_compAttrFn_child1.create( 'vertexColorOut', 'vco01' )
        cls.attrOut_vertexColorRGB = numAttrFn.createColor( 'vertexColorRGBOut', 'vcrgbo01')
        cls.attrOut_vertexAlpha = numAttrFn.create( 'vertexAlphaOut', 'vao01', om.MFnNumericData.kFloat)

cls.attrOut_vertexFaceColor = out_compAttrFn_child2.create( 'vertexFaceColorOut', 'vcfo01' )
        cls.attrOut_vertexFaceColorRGB = numAttrFn.createColor( 'vertexFaceColorRGBOut', 'vcrfgbo01')
        cls.attrOut_vertexFaceAlpha = numAttrFn.create( 'vertexFaceAlphaOut', 'vfao01', om.MFnNumericData.kFloat)

out_compAttrFn_parent.addChild( cls.attrOut_vertexColor )

out_compAttrFn_child1.array = True
        out_compAttrFn_child1.addChild( cls.attrOut_vertexColorRGB )
        out_compAttrFn_child1.addChild( cls.attrOut_vertexAlpha )
        out_compAttrFn_child1.addChild( cls.attrOut_vertexFaceColor )

out_compAttrFn_child2.array = True
        out_compAttrFn_child2.addChild( cls.attrOut_vertexFaceColorRGB )
        out_compAttrFn_child2.addChild( cls.attrOut_vertexFaceAlpha )

cls.addAttribute( cls.outputMeshAttribute )

# if any of the inputs change, the output mesh will be recomputed
        cls.attributeAffects( cls.attrIn_tensionColor_01, cls.outputMeshAttribute )
        cls.attributeAffects( cls.attrIn_tensionIndex_01, cls.outputMeshAttribute )