[Maya] Is it possible to scale a scene seamlessly?

Hi,

I have a mesh that is already attached to various joints. That joints are in perfect scale of 1,1,1 but the mesh is 10 times bigger. So I have to scale down.

Is there a universal setting where I can scale the scene down by 10 times but have the joints scale still at 1,1,1? Or is there a better workflow of this?

Thank you for looking at my problem.

Well, the scene also contains the joints so scaling the scene down will also scale the joints…
If the actual scale is correct (mesh matches the skeleton) then you can duplicate the mesh, freeze transforms, rebind skinning and copy from original.
If the actual scale isn’t correct, you can duplicate the mesh, select the vertices, scale down, rebind the skinning and copy the original.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer

RE: Well, the scene also contains the joints so scaling the scene down will also scale the joints…
Yes, it does. But the scale happens globally not locally.
So, if I change the scene down to 10 times.
The joint scale from 1 is still 1 (i.e. un changed).

Basically, I’m looking for a feature like in C4D where you can do just that.

RE: If the actual scale is correct (mesh matches the skeleton) then you can duplicate the mesh, freeze transforms, rebind skinning and copy from original.
If the actual scale isn’t correct, you can duplicate the mesh, select the vertices, scale down, rebind the skinning and copy the original.

This is what I am trying to avoid. The file is 400mb with at least 100 joints with at least 50 meshes with separate skin clusters.

You could run a freeze transforms on the mesh and then a delete non-deformer history?
Personally, I would automate the process I posted previously in python/Mel.

1 Like

Yea, I guess its not possible seamlessly

Will just resort manual clean-up. Thanks again for the response.
Have a great day ahead!