Making of 'Vuurproef' thrill ride, by House of Secrets

Back in 2011 we (House of Secrets) were asked by Il luster productions to create a pitch for the Dutch Railway museum. They were developing a new attraction for their museum. The concept was to develop a virtual train ride, where the emphasis was put on a thrill-ride experience.
This project finished November 2012, the ride and film received high praises everywhere, to celebrate this, we created this small making of for people who are not or less familiar with the project to get an idea of what we did.

You can download the making of as pdf from this location.
Watch a cutdown edit of the ride film here.
Watch a mini making of edit here.

Hope you’ll enjoy it,
the folks at House of Secrets.

Love the work Sven, Thanks for sharing.
I’d be interested to hear about what custom tools you had and made.

Cheers,
Rob

[QUOTE=Butters;20362]Love the work Sven, Thanks for sharing.
I’d be interested to hear about what custom tools you had and made.

Cheers,
Rob[/QUOTE]

A whole bunch, together with Jeroen Hoolmans (not sure he has an account on here, i though he did):
. We wrote a standalone asset manager with modules that can be tied into other programs (at that point we had a fully working Maya one and a ‘test’ version for Fusion)
. A bunch of Spherical camera plugins (VRay and Mental Ray) and a cube map to Spherical camera for Fusion (OpenCL and CPU fallback.)
. A shading export / import system for VRay Proxies, and these days Alembic (export from shading scenes to one click re-apply on render scene that is ready for export to vrscenes)
. A custom artist friendly curve tool for the rails (based on OpenNurb)
. A script/system to place instances of various proxies on the curve of the rails (with intersection checks for surrounding meshes)
. A custom lofting tool with various options that Maya’s build in loft lacks.
. A VRay instancing system (we initially bought VrayScatter, but it just missed too many options to be practical on this production)
. A custom vector motion blur and various other plugins for Fusion (most of those plugins OpenCL with CPU fallback)
. A folder full of smaller scripts and utilities that helps in everyday use.

That’s out of the top of my head, i probably forgot a whole bunch, but you get the idea.

cheers,
Sven