At SBX Robotics we teach robots to understand the world by placing them into simulated environments. Remember when Neo learns Kung-Fu in The Matrix? It’s like that, but for robots.
We’re looking for an experienced Unreal Engine Generalist, Technical Artist, or Technical Director to level up our procedural asset generation skillset, and to bring expertise from game development and VFX into our world of computer vision, AI, and robotics. This role offers an opportunity to be a jack-of-all-trades, to teach as well as execute, to quickly grow into a leadership position. You will work directly with the founders who bring Silicon Valley experience from companies like Uber ATG, Kindred AI, Yelp and Wish.
SBX is an early-stage YC-backed startup where anything is possible, a place where you have the opportunity to help build the core product and culture.
Today’s state of the art deep learning computer vision algorithms require vast amounts of data to be collected, labeled, and cleaned – this is expensive and can take months of work. At SBX, we take a novel approach. For each of our vision systems, we spin up a virtual world, train the algorithms in the simulation, and test them on real world data. By leveraging tools from VFX and video games, we can achieve results that match and outperform the state of the art, in a fraction of the time – take a look at our system in action!
Skills & Qualifications required
- 5+ years experience in Technical Artist roles within the Video Games industry
- Effective communication with divergent audiences across art, engineering, and management domains
- 3+ years of Unreal Engine experience in industry
- Proficiency with a 2D and 3D art packages: Blender, Maya, or equivalent
- Working knowledge of scripting, including Python, bash and CG pipelines
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Capacity to think out-of-the-box to overcome technical challenges
- Comfort working independently and juggling multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Bachelor degree in a STEM field preferred
- (Bonus) Houdini experience
What will you work on?
- Build procedurally generated virtual worlds in UnrealEngine to meet our client’s requirements
- Run experiments and analyze data with our Machine Learning Researchers
- Work cross functionally and communicate with Engineering, Research and Sales to help build the best- in-class rendering pipeline for synthetic data
- Work in a leadership capacity to manage deadlines, and provide leadership to members of a team
- Utilize your experience to streamline development of our tools and systems
- Be an available point of contact, liaising frequently with key stakeholders
- Support and mentor junior colleagues
What are you going to learn?
- leadership skills by providing operational, technical and mentorship support to the technical art teams
- communication skills by working cross functionally with Engineering, Management, and Research
- End-to-end experience procedurally creating hundreds of virtual worlds from base elements
- What cutting edge vision-driven robots are really capable of
- How deep learning computer vision systems are designed, trained, tested, and deployed
- Learn about the startup ecosystem from a YC graduate startup!
This position will be remote, with core hours in Eastern Time.