Is there was way to enable thumbnails in Maya / Photoshop file open dialog?

Does anybody know a way to enable thumbnail view in Maya’s file open dialog? For example: when you click the open command for a material’s texture map the only built-in option seems to be “List” and “Detail” view. With regards to Photoshop, I see odd behavior where when you enable thumbnail viewing it will start showing a few thumbnails and then stop, leaving the remaining with their blue PSD icons…strange…

Thanks,
Brad

If you are running 2012 or later, you can use the standard system dialogs rather than the Maya ones. The standard system dialogs allow you to view by thumbnails, but I think you have to switch to this mode each time you open a file. Note, this will only work for files that show you a thumbnail in Explorer. Maya files do not have thumbnails, and image files like TGAs don’t either unless you are running a thumbnail extension such as Thumbs Plus.

Here are the steps for fixing:

[ol]
[li]Download and install Sage Thumbs: http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/downloads/list[/li][li]Open Sage Thumbs options.[/li][li]Increase the Maximum size of image file to: 1024. If you don’t do this, PSDs with a file size more than this value will not have thumbnails and use the blue PSD icon instead.[/li][li]In Maya, go to Windows > Settings and Preferences > Preferences > Settings > Files/Projects > File Dialog: enable OS native. I also toggle off Hide Extension in filter.[/li][/ol]