[Houdini] Problems with selection

Hey guys,
I’m trying to get familiar with Houdini, and so far it’s all making sense with the exception of one thing: selection. It seems like sometimes selecting objects just doesn’t work. For one, I can’t drag select all the points/faces in an object at once - I have to grab part of the object then add the rest to the selection. I found one forum post online somewhere where someone mentioned having the same issue, but I’m unable to find anyone else talking about the same thing. In all of the tutorial videos I’ve seen, I’m fairly certain I’ve seen people do just that - in fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve managed to get it to work once or twice, but then it doesn’t work again.

Another issue I’ve been having is when I want to select a bunch of points and add them to a group - but I can’t select anything. The only way I could get the selection to work was to activate the Translation handle tool, which added an edit SOP, which I don’t want. I kept trying, and eventually clicked a few things in the parameters list (but didn’t actually change anything) and suddenly I could select the points.

Anyone have any idea what’s going on with this?

dunno…might help