Help with plugin installment Simplex

Hi,

trying to install https://github.com/blurstudio/Simplex plugin
Got stuck when executing the command gives missing simplex_maya.mll error in plug-in folder.

Thenks for the help!

Have you installed the plugin? That repo you linked is only for the UI code.

1 Like

Hi!
Thanks fr the reply.
No, i have not installed anything besides the one above.
I looked the solver link before, but i don’t quite understand the process and the instructions.

-edit-
I have now installed cmake (don’t know what it is nor what to do with it…)
Instructions say " Make sure you can run cmake from the command line. Look online to show you how"
Not sure what it means, tho.

Running mayaConfigure.bat gives following result:

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\maya\2018\SimplexPlugins-master\mayabuild_2018>cmake -DMAYA_VERSION=2018 -G “Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64” …
‘cmake’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\maya\2018\SimplexPlugins-master\mayabuild_2018>cmake --build . --config Release --target INSTALL
‘cmake’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\maya\2018\SimplexPlugins-master\mayabuild_2018>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Hi there! I wrote Simplex.
As Bob said, there are 2 repositories for simplex now. One contains the code for the simplex_maya.mll plugin, the other contains all the code for the UI required to make systems. It has, unfortunately, been a while since I’ve had time or motivation to work on the instructions.

CMake is a program that helps make other programs (or in this case, plugins). It handles a lot of the complex junk that you have to deal with when compiling.

The reason that running mayaConfigure.bat is failing is because you can’t run cmake from the command line. That bat file is just a bunch of cmake command line commands. The easiest way to fix that is probably just reinstalling cmake. There’s an option in the installer talking about “PATH”, and you want to make sure “Add CMake to the system PATH for all users” is checked. That will ensure that if you open a command prompt (winKey+R, then type cmd into that box), when you type cmake into the cmd window it won’t say 'cmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Feel free to DM me if you need more help

1 Like

Great!
DM sent. Thanks!

Good timing on this thread as I was just looking at your tool. It’s been awhile since I’ve used BCS and was hoping to take your tool for a test drive. If you ever get around to it, I’d love to see a short demo. Doesn’t have to be fancy. Just a quick run through of the setup and features. Looks great. Can’t wait to test it out.
Cheers,
-Sean

I’ve got some videos that walk through an older version of simplex. Most of this stuff is still relevant.

And I forgot to edit out waiting for an export … Oops [edit: Fixed]
ehh, this is for an older version of simplex. I’ll get the next one correct.

If this video is ever taken down, just check Simplex github page for a newer version. Also, I’ll try to remember to update this link

Awesome, thank you :slight_smile:

Edit: Just watched your video. Holy crap, Tyler! Incredible!! Way more intuitive then BCS and looks way more powerful too.
Thanks again for the demo and tools.

1 Like

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
One other thing you can mess with: the slide values of the combo inputs don’t have to be -1 or 1, they can be any number in between. It’s not an RBF, but you can get similar results. (It uses barycentric weights calculated in N-Dim simplices, hence the name “Simplex”).

1 Like