Google Summer of Code - Blender

If you are student studying computer science, or happen to attend a university with a computer science department - you might be interested in knowing that Blender is participating in the ‘Google Summer of Code’ again this year.

Here is a flyer that has been created to be put up at campuses, given to professors and CS students, etc. that gives more details

Also there is our ideas page here

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2011/Ideas

Some great features have come about from past GSoCs (including fluids, many of the sculpt tools and improvements; and lots of other stuff), and we hope this year we will get some great proposals as well.

Might be a fun summer job for some of you budding TDs :slight_smile:

Made this a sticky for the time being. Yay Blender!

Thanks for the sticky :slight_smile:

Application deadline is the 8th of April. Looking forward to seeing some proposals from students lurking around here.

Deadline is in 19:00 UTC today (Friday April 8th). So if you are planning to submit a proposal the time is now :slight_smile:

Just wanted to thank all of the applicants, we had 39 this year, a new record for us :).

Over the summer I’ll try and keep you all informed of some of the progress we make and what projects get accepted.

Hi all, Google was extremely generous to us and we had a huge number of applicants.

So we will have 17 students being mentored to work on Blender this summer.

We are calling it the ‘summer of polish’ since the majority of the projects are polishing existing tool functionality. It is my hope that by the end of summer we will have one of the best tools for uv unwrapping, weight painting, animation, texturing, retopologizing, and sculpting. Also I hope that our Collada support will be superb.

I would love to have FBX in there with Collada, since Autodesk has made a large push to integrate FBX even tighter between apps.

And Congrats that is excellent news for Blender.

FBX library isn’t GPL compatible, while we are implementing text FBX i/o it isn’t clear that we will ever have binary FBX support.

Google is so gooooooooooooooooooooood .It is really helpful for all.