GDC2018 Tech Art Bootcamp Call for Submissions!

It’s that time of year again. Paralleling the general GDC call for submissions, it’s time to talk Tech Art Bootcamp! This year we should be able to do a mix of 30-minute and 60-minute talks, so don’t worry if you don’t think you can fill a whole hour.

Is there something cool you’re working on that you think other TAs should see? Are you the subject matter expert on something important and esoteric? Did you recently level-up your studio’s Tech Art department with technology, manpower, or processes and want to post-mortem it?

Or, heck, do you think you want to speak at the Bootcamp but aren’t sure what you want to talk about? I’ve got you covered! I’m hoping I can get some coverage on some of these topics:

1. Hiring, Growing, and Leading a Tech Art Team
  2. Advanced Shaders (300-level, but accessible content)
  3. Something related to rigging
  4. Something related to indie-scale technical art
  5. Working with the “off-the-shelf” future of Tech Art
  6. Automating Substance
  7. Tools for Writiers

Can’t wait to see what y’all come up with! I’d like to have a list of speakers and topics locked down about a week before the GDC deadline, be sure to email me no later than August 10th.

You can message me here, the tech-artists slack team, or email me at [email protected]

-Ozz

I’m game to do another shaders talk if people don’t mind hearing from me three years in a row.

1 Like

So what exactly do you mean here with “off-the-shelf”? Like buying/licensing whole pipelines?

Not sure if there would be any interest, but let me pitch you a talk I would be interested in giving:

• Explaining a different view on technical art by explaining a set of habits through some related production stories.

Not necessarily whole pipeline, but making increasing use of off-the-shelf tools in production settings (Substance, Houdini, Knald, etc.) as opposed to rolling your own.

Here’s a few more topical topics…

• Writing tools in UnrealEngine Blueprint
  • Expanding generic import pipelines (like Unity or Unreal’s FBX)
  • Transtioning to C++ as a TA on an Unreal team
  • Web-based studio tools development
  • Intro to databases for TA
  • Working with HDR monitors
  • Working in 4k resolution

I’d love to give a talk about automating Substance - I’ve done a lot of it and was in the process of submitting a talk in 2016 for the main conference track but I couldn’t do it in the end for :game production reasons:. Drop me a line if you’re interested in hosting it

edit: I’ve also emailed you ozz

2 Likes

@Theodox Y’know what’d work well for that list of topics? Microtalks! @Everyone: If you’re interest in talking but don’t think you can fill a full hour or even half hour, we can talk microtalks!

2 Likes

I like that idea. And Microtalks are a good way for first-timers to get their feet wet - it’s always nice to expand the speaker pool beyond the usual suspects

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.