Blackbird Interactive is looking for a passionate VFX artist to join our team! Do you have a broad range of creative and technical experience in both 2D and 3D VFX? Here’s a chance to join a small team where you can put all of your skills and interests to work.
Blackbird and its team of industry veterans have created the first original Homeworld game in more than a decade. Building on the gameplay and technology they started developing long ago on HARDWARE: Shipbreakers, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak shipped to critical acclaim including a 90/100 from PC Gamer, 9/10 from Gamespot and 8.8/10 from IGN. Kotaku called us the “one of the best RTS in years” while Gamespot called us a “Real time strategy masterpiece.”
Blackbird is growing and working on Homeworld 3.
- Creative development of 2D and 3D VFX using Unreal Engine 4, and many other plugins and tools.
- Technical problem solving of how to achieve our signature look in the engine.
- Work closely with concept artists and designers to create in-game assets that get everyone stoked! Create, tweak, implement and fix world class art for a world class game.
- Inspire and support team members, accept personal responsibility for the project deliverables
- Monitor deliverable progress, manage assigned scope and requested changes, meet commitments, follow up and be on time.
- 2+ years of proven gameplay development; multiple shipped products, preferably RTS or FPS
- At least one shipped product
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work from concept and design briefs
- Working with art director to create new styles of FX
- Shader prototyping-- whether through Unreal Engine 4 our tool of your choice
- Unreal Engine 4, Perforce, Embergen, Autodek Maya, Adobe Photoshop, and PC operating systems.
- Specific expertise in one or many of the following: modeling, texturing, lighting, creating effects, creating UI and User Experience.
- Available for full time & on-site or remote work in Vancouver, BC
- 3D Modeling skills: Experience understanding and working off conceptual drawing; working with 3D software; experience with polygonal modeling and knowledgeable of 3D sculpting.
- Texturing skills: Ability to map geometry; manipulate UVs; adjust textures using Photoshop; create high quality/high resolution texture; understand relationship between diffuse normal map and specular map.
- Experience playing modern RTS games such as Starcraft and Company of Heroes, as well as MOBA’s like League of Legends.
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.)
- Unreal Engine 4: Knowledge of asset management and basic architecture for importing user created content; 3D models, textures.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.