Feedback on Edgeflow, before I jump in to Rigging

Hi all,

SO I have already taken feedback and updated the mesh a few times.

I am hopefully sticking to this as my low-poly base mesh for the character.

If you see any glaring issues, please let me know!

Granted its been a decade since I rigged and skinned a character, but nothing jumps out at me as an obvious an egregious problem area.

1 Like

I would note to perhaps take a pass at orthogonalizing as best you can the edge loops in relation to itself and double checking where there are large gaps between loops. Unless that loop is specifically holding a shape where it is, making sure the distances are relatively even between each other is also useful to ensure there’s enough information along the surface when you need it and not too much in other places. I’m seeing this down the leg, neck and at the shoulders where there are unnecessary gaps and at the inner elbow where the loops are pretty messy.

I’d also add at least one loop between the joints of the fingers to assist with flesh shaping during fists and whatnot.

1 Like

I love retopologizing. It’s very zen for me. I can easily put on music and zone out for an entire work-day doing this. That said, I’m also picky. But that comes from experience.

In general, there should be way less variation in polygon size. Looking at the toes for example, there are tiny polys right next to huge ones. Don’t expect a subdivision to do magic. Using something like maya’s relax brush on your model shouldn’t really do all that much.
The torso and hips are pretty decent flow-wise. I might want more resolution to match everything else, but the loops and shape are good.
Your face needs to be way more loopy. The main features should be rings around the eyes, nose and mouth. There’s no definition for the nasolabial fold. The skull is too blocky.
You should probably put at least 3 more loops around each of the long polys around the biceps, forearm, neck, and shin. Definitely more loops around each finger. There’s a star point right in the crook of the elbow that will be a pain. There’s also a star point right in the middle of the palm that will make things look weird when doing a thumb-to-pinkie pose.
You’re gonna have some trouble with that shoulder. I can tell it was box modeled. Look at some anatomy of the deltoid and pectorals and try to follow the flow of the muscles, even if you’re not using a muscle system.

I think that’s a good start.

1 Like

Hey eveyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

Everyone has mentioned keeping a regular poly-size across the mesh.

How regular?

I am inexperienced in retopologising, but it seems wasteful to have polys the same size on the thighs as round the lips and the eyes.

I did a quick search, and found a halfway decent example : https://i.stack.imgur.com/CErDT.png
It’s not necessarily exactly the same size, but they’re definitely similar, and no big jumps.

1 Like

Thanks

I’ve been working from this one… which I came across

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399100

I Hope you all think it’s a better start, at least on the face…

For the leg, i would suggest a flow like this. Hvve the 5 star higher abit before reaching the hip/ V-shape then start your leg loop at the V-shape to deform better. for the rest, it look accepted. just clean it up and make it even spaced. Looking forward to the next post! good luck!

1 Like

clean it up by having neat even space as what others had said *point upwards
why would you add a 5 star to avoid one more loop? In your case, one more loop doesnt matter. in face u need more loops unless you doing a low poly model.

1 Like

Thanks Elson, for the visual feedback.

and thanks again to everyone else for taking time out to have a look at this thread.

I’ve done a little re-sculpt to get her into a proper T-pose.

And based on general feedback, I am trying to build a really low-poly mesh to get the loops right, and give a quick rig-test to highlight any unpleasant jiggery-pokery.

It’d be great if someone could tell me any obvious flaws at this stage.
(I will add polys to the groin area so that the thigh/hip poly-size if more inline with the rest of the mesh.)
(I haven’t tidied up the centre-line verts)

Elbow (and eventually knee) structure is based on this at polycount.

Armpits are a good place to bury pole vertices too; rarely seen and usually shade poorly anyway.

Checkout the Hippydrome Modeling for Articulation page for some good topology reference. The rest of the site is worth a look as well.

1 Like