Ergonomic Tools

Hey all! My first post here and happy to be a part of the TA world! I’m currently a student getting ready to graduate and start my career as a TA.

I recently went to a talk and heard of a TA retiring because it hurts to type anymore. I’m big into my health, yet I’ve only ever used Razer peripherals.

What are some of the best ergonomic KBMs and chairs. Is it worth getting an adjustable table to go between standing and sitting?

Welcome!

I absolutely swear by a product called Allsop Wrist Assist. They are individual memory-foam wrist rests that slide along with your hands on your work surface as you type or move between the mouse and keyboard (as opposed to static wrist-rests that just sit in front of your mousepad or keyboard). They’ve been an absolute game changer for me – I used to get shooting pains and numbness in my hands and I was very worried about RSI. Hasn’t been a problem for years now.

I’ll look into them! Thank you!

I have spent way too much time and money on this stuff :slight_smile:

At work I type on an Ergodox keyboard with a custom DIY ~20degree tenting palm rest
https://imgur.com/a/X2ldt
In my free time, I’m working on designing my own split ergo keyboard that will include a trackball and custom dishing, similar to a Dactyl Manuform.

I also use articulating armrests. The ones provided at work are Ergorests, but I also bought some no-names off Amazon for home use.

1 Like
  • the chair is really important, don’t hesitate to invest some money it’ll be worth it. I switched last year from a ikea to an ergonomic chair, my back pain almost disappeared.

• It’s important to be able to configure the arm rests (not too high or low) so that your shoulders are not in an awckward position.

• I also don’t use mouses anymore, I do everything with an intuos a5. It helps a lot on wrist pain.

• never cross your legs under your desk, it would gradually destroy your hips.

• place your monitors at eye height.