DirectX 11 Tesselation Explosion (PEGI18)

Hello Everyone!

I was messing around with DX11 Tesselation in udk and i came up with that:

//youtu.be/93C2BsansTY

It’s still very wip but i thought i’d share it with you.

I just registered here, and this is the first thing I saw! Very cool and inspiring! I really like the dissolving effect. Would adding transparency be killer on the framerate?

I just started with UDK myself and I am really excited to get immersed.

[QUOTE=Qman914;20970]I just registered here, and this is the first thing I saw! Very cool and inspiring! I really like the dissolving effect. Would adding transparency be killer on the framerate?

I just started with UDK myself and I am really excited to get immersed.[/QUOTE]

Hello and thanks for the kind words,

I’m not sure how or where i could add transparency. Could you elaborate? Every material is already translucent or at least masked so i guess you could push it even further without decimating the framerate.

Interesting. What are you using tessellation for?

It reminds me of popping a balloon animal, an empty shell. I think it might
help if you actually contracted the mesh by pushing vertices “in”, to indicate
that material migrated off the body, into the particle effects. Kind of how
flesh can be “chipped off” of limbs in House of the Dead.

[QUOTE=johnnyonehundred;20972]Hello and thanks for the kind words,

I’m not sure how or where i could add transparency. Could you elaborate? Every material is already translucent or at least masked so i guess you could push it even further without decimating the framerate.[/QUOTE]

Sorry it took a while to respond, I am not receiving notifications for replies for some reason.

It might be more of a stylistic thing (and since I don’t really know how the tessellation works it’s hard for me to be super specific) but the blood sprays that are coming out look super cool, but almost too thick. Maybe you could break them up more with directed spattering shapes?

Hello all, sorry for the late reply, i meant to answer sooner but the site was down and i’ve been busy.

Thanks for your input zoltan, you gave me an interesting idea, i’ll try to combine your way and mine in order to make some kind of nuclear blast effect, à la watchmen.

I totally agree with the balloon popping aspect, maybe this method would be more appropriate to simulate blood squibs

and thanks Qman for your feedback, i’ll keep that in mind.