The Crowd Lead is a key member of the animation department and is responsible for managing the Crowd simulation team for show productions. The Crowd Lead is a key part of the leadership team that drives the quality and style for the crowds of the show as directed by the Animation Supervisor and the Director.
• Acts as a positive leader and role model for the artists on the team and helps to set the tone for the morale of the department; grows the team creatively and technically through supervision and mentoring
• Oversees all crowd simulation and cycles under the Animation Supervisor
• Gives kick offs to all crowd artists and interacts with Animation Supervisor and Director
• Involved in creating new tools and collaborating with the studio Technical Director; Actively improves tool sets; works with Rigging, Layout and Lighting Teams in creative and technical problem solving capacity
• Helps with coordination of cycles and assembly of shots; Works with Production on schedules and delivery dates
• Contributes to quota as needed and available during production
• Responsible for spotting cycles based on animatics and early reels to anticipate potential crowd needs; Contributes to quota as needed and available during production
• Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Senior level in crowd simulation and agent design. Demo Reel demonstrates multiple crowd simulation scenarios.
• Solid knowledge of high-end 3D software (Maya)
• Solid knowledge of at least one commercial crowd simulation software (Atoms, Massive, Golaem, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
• Solid eye for composition
• Collaboration with other departments outside of animation (ie. Rigging, Layout and Lighting )
• Excellent multi-tasking and prioritization skills; self-motivated
• A creative and collaborative problem solver who is organized and critical of his or her own work.
• Demonstrable ability to train and has natural leadership qualities, strong communication skills
• Technically savvy with coding abilities preferred
If you are interested in the position, please apply here:
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. Employees may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please note that Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be considered in priority.